Top Shelf Aquatics

a couple questions

Grizzy

I am in the process of setting up a 20gl long. Some of the equipment, and all of the livestock will be moving into a RR AGA 55gl in 6-12 months. Any comments or suggestions on the following are appreciated:

20gl long AGA

25-30lbs LR

3.5 DSB (should I make this deeper)

Ice Cap 660 with 4x75w URI VHO (2actinic/2aquasun) This may be a bit much but the 660 is so versitile, and I can use it on the 55gl and go with 4x110w over it.

I was gonna put 2-MaxiJet 400's for a total of 212gph. Is this enough, too much, or just about right? How should I aim them?

What wattage and type of heater should I get?

Don't plan on using a skimmer. I would like to keep a perc, banggai cardinal, and a firefish. Will this be too much load without a skimmer? 10% wc every week sound about right? Will wait a few months before adding the corals. Do you think SPS and even some clams are doable (15 watts per gallon)?

Once again any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Grizzy

Tronic, Ebo-Jager, or titanium submersable. Cheep heater = issues with stray current at times.

It all looks good. I would however wire it up for 3 bulbs, the fourth won't fit over a 20 L. verywell and heat will be an issue from the bulbs w/O a fan.

HTH.

PS: Thanks fer "FIRST POST" posting with intelegence. ;)

Dave,

Thanks for the "First Post" props. I will be making my own hood (w/ a fan); you don't think it is possible to fit four bulbs? Any suggestions on the wattage of the heater?

Grizzy

4 Bulbs will be too intense right off the bat. I have 330 W running on a 40 L (percentage wise its comperable to a 20L) at the levels you will need to cycle and develop a tank, the 3 bulbs will be more than adequate. Be sure to get URI bulbs, at current technology, they are the best on the market. IME.

Don't over-do initial lighting, as you will surely cause havoc and accelerated stages of chaos with VHO. A 20 L is only 12 inches high from the BOTTOM of the tank... I have bleached a great many corals at 18 inches (sadly) from over exposure to VHO.

If in 3 months you need to increase light, add the fourth.

Heater, 200 W should be more than sufficent... or 2 Power sweep 228's PH as they are GREAT heaters LOL

In regards to the Ice Cap 660, do I have to buy a special harness to run 3 bulbs as oppossed to 4? I know on some ballasts (hellolight.com VHO ballast) all four bulbs have to be plugged in for it to fire or light.

Does anyone have some suggestions on powerheads? At first I was thinking 2-MaxiJet 400's but now think that won't be enough movement. 2-600's or 1-600 & 1-900 sound better?

Any other comments on the bioload. A Perc, Banggai, and Firefish with no skimmer?

Thanks,

Grizzy

Archived