inTank Media Baskets

SCWD FLOW ISSUE

cpllongjk

I have a mag 12 hooked up to my scwd with 2 utube returns 3/4 inch each. the piping from the mag12 outlet to the utube is all 3/4 inchs.... my switching speed is noticablly about 7 seconds. according to the 3IQ website im only pusing out 500gph....

Anyone else think the flow is more than what 3IQ states... i should be pushing a lot more flow than 500gph with a MAG 12. i understand about head loss but everything is 3/4in 3/4 out... i know this reduces a bit but shouldnt by that much, should it?

Jared

my tank is in my sig

Hi Jared, Jared here... isn't it wierd having such a common name?

Anyway, SCWDs are pretty cool devices, but they do cut down the flow a lot. The fact is, you are probably only putting out about 500-600 gph after head loss and the SCWD's natural flow-restriction properties. It's just part of the design... if you don't want the restriction, get an OM Squirt.

Jared

• 2 weeks later...
10" Red Devil
Hi Jared, Jared here... isn't it wierd having such a common name?

Anyway, SCWDs are pretty cool devices, but they do cut down the flow a lot. The fact is, you are probably only putting out about 500-600 gph after head loss and the SCWD's natural flow-restriction properties. It's just part of the design... if you don't want the restriction, get an OM Squirt.

Jared

Uh are you serious? He has a mag 12 1200gph. Does the SCWD really cut the pressure that much?

Thanks.

We'll, the higher the flow rate the less the reduction. But I'd say anywhere from 30-50%....

IME, The difference betwen a QO3000 and my mag 9 was stagerring, with the Mag 9 the clear winner.

I had 2 SCWD's on my 180 with very little flow loss difference with and without them. I used a DP2000 pump with 1.5" piping teed into 3/4" then to two SCWD's with 3/4 in and out of them. I would take the SCWD's out overnight to clean them and replace them with a 3/4" PVC tee, and would not notice that much more flow. I would say your biggest problem is putting a 1200gph pump into 3/4" pipe to begin with, along with the fact that the SCWD is only 3/4" ID. They are supposed to have a 1" SCWD soon, that and 1" piping would help dramatically.

Archived