Cultivated Reef

Prizm skimmer good/bad

ImLon2

You may do a search on this topic. It has been talked about a good bit I think. My 2 cents are they work for nanos but I wouldn't use one on a larger tank.

hey,

well, I have one on my 20 high nano, and it works great, pulls out the skimate great, and isn't noisy (18 blade version). I think if you were planning on it, then go for it, it's a good skimmer.

Brandon

I've been running the 18-blade version on a 7-gal bowfront for about a year. I like it. Not exactly quiet but not terribly loud either. Pulls brown stuff out of the water on a weekly basis.

I run a Prizm on my 20Gal Nano. works great. Be sure to keep it clean. It does tend to produce a lot of wet foam after i feed the tank at times. But all you have to do is shut if off for while feeding and for a bout 20 minutes. Most people have different views on 10gal some say use just water changes and no skimmer others say skim. I prefer to skim and weekly water changes. If you get a skimmer you will help maintain a high oxygen concentration in your tank. Reefs require high oxygen and a skimmer by its very nature augments gass exchange in water colum. HTH

Is your tank in your bedroom? Are you a light sleeper? If so, then good luck trying to get some sleep at night. I have a Prizm I'll be using temporarily in the sump of my new 40gal. Hopefully there won't be as much noise from the skimmer since it will be inside my tank's cabinet stand. I'll either sell the Prizm or keep it for my spare 10gal hospital/quarantine tank. Either I'll end up buying a better skimmer, maybe euro-reef or the southbay knockoff, or just go skimmerless and set up the 20gal Long sump with 2 baffles and have live sand and as much live rock as i can fit between the two baffles. Use a filter sock for the overflow into the sump, and have a media bag with carbon in the return pump section. Now just have to decide on lighting.... 2x96pc's, or either 150 or 250 hqi pendant. :

Originally posted by Satchmo

A little help for the searching-impaired:

I seen that and if you would have done quick search to who all had posted to that Thread than you would have know. Thanks for jumping to conclusions. So if everyone would do a search on this board no one would get a chance to talk and get to know everyone.

Just my $.02

:

I've had a skimmer in my 10G since April. I like it. I built a bracket to hold it so that very little (about 1/4 inch) of the outflow is in the tank and right at the back.

You should know it does have a "breaking in" period during which it will be a little louder than it will be a few weeks later, it also seems to put out a lot more micro-bubbles in the tank early on.

I skimm 24/7 and do 15-20% weekly water changes. With the skimmer you can have a heavier bioload, but it still isn't a replacement for water changes in a small system.

Originally posted by sjpresley

You should know it does have a "breaking in" period during which it will be a little louder than it will be a few weeks later, it also seems to put out a lot more micro-bubbles in the tank early on.

I have another 10 gal that I'm going to start setting up my 10 water for water changes so I can mix it a lot easier. Should I start it in there before putting it in the Main Tank?

It's up to you. The micro-bubbles don't really hurt anything, despite what many people say, they bother the aquarist more than anything else and I've heard no reports of aquarists' dying from micro-bubbles. The prism will skim right off, it will just be a little to a lot louder than it will later on.

It will also take a little while for you to get used to how the skimmer reacts to feedings, supplements, and water changes. After water changes mine will make really wet foam some times, but not all the time.

Originally posted by ImLon2

So if everyone would do a search on this board no one would get a chance to talk and get to know everyone.

Sorry if I tickled your nasties. You make a good point that I agree with. Post away, no one's trying to stem free exchange. The whole search issue (at least in my eyes) is not to prevent repeat questions. The point, is that in a lot of these old archived threads, knowledgable people have taken considerable time to write thought-out, accurate, and comprehensive replies. If these posts were destined to get bumped on down the board, never to be seen again, it would be a terrible waste of good information. If, before asking a general question, a search is done, nine times out of ten that question can be answered and other, more specific points are raised. Then, when you do post your question, it will inevitably be more focused to your situation, more in depth, and more interesting to read and respond to. This promotes better discussion, and is of far greater benefit to you and the community in general. Again, I didn't mean to come off as an elitist... merely a wise ass :)

Peace

Originally posted by Satchmo

The whole search issue (at least in my eyes) is not to prevent repeat questions.  The point, is that in a lot of these old archived threads, knowledgable people have taken considerable time to write thought-out, accurate, and comprehensive replies.  If these posts were destined to get bumped on down the board, never to be seen again, it would be a terrible waste of good information.

Now when you put it that way it does make a lot of since and I see your point. :blush: When I posted that I was at work and I try to get on and off this site as quick at a possible so I do not get caught Surfing.B)

don't let satch fool you. he IS an elitist wise@ss! :P jk

he's absolutely right tho regarding the wealth of info and differing opinions from various members from old/buried posts & threads. to get the responses from the reg's like the NY-area contingent (which i consider i'm part of) would be terribly one-sided. former regs like toyfreak or occasional posters like lunch who both have enormous experience and often even differing opinions (btw they're wrong, we're right! :P ) contribute greatly to the value of this site imo. just my $0.02

my major complaint with the prizm (i have 2) is that they will lose their prime and stop pumping. about once a week i find that mine has stopped flowing and i have to squeeze the air inlet to re-prime the pump. sometimes this doesnt work and i have to unplug it and plug it back in. it gets pretty annoying. also they have not been pulling off as much skimmate as they used to.

I recenlty purchased a Prizm skimmer. My first thoughts after starting up in the aquarium were, " Oh ######t what did I do!". It began spewing microbubbles every where and causing the watersurface to get all foamy. But after about 24 hours or so it has stopped all together with the micro's and is producing dry foaming skimmate. Ok maybe not all together as it does stil emmite very small amounts of tiny micro bubbles. I am sure in a week this will go away as well.

Hey guys whats this thread all about?

do a f'n search! :P actually, that was what it was about for a little while. :D

back to topic:

i've got (3) prizms. i'm not using any of them currently because of their friggin motor problems. :angry: don't get me wrong, when they're working they're the best bang for the buck imo. but i've gone thru 14(?) motors on three different units! enough's enough for me. i dusted off my ol' berlin luft and gots me a coralife cc and it's good enough. ain't sexy but it's adequate. for my semi-nano i'm currently going without. : i'll probably end up hacking up a cc in some diy fashion tho.

I bought a prizm and after looking at and noting it had to be primed I sent it back. The one thing I kept reading is it keeps losing its prime and I didn't like the way it was made once I got my hands on it. I bought a second BakPak 2 for a $110. from www.aquatictech.com/ its twice the skimmer for just a few bucks more. I had it in three days regular UPS. It sounds like most skimmers make micro bubbles and also make noise to some degree but you get use to it. To start with they make bubbles because of surface tension it goes away. another thing is the skim cup is much easier to get to and clean in the BakPak. Just my opnion.

Fahz

Archived