Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Algae

MWehr76364

I am new to here and have a few ?'s. I have an eclipse 6 tank been set up for salt for about 4weeks. I have live rock, heater, Blue Damsel, and Peppermint Shrimp. I just did a water change and have had a break out of red algae. It is on 2 of the rocks and some of the sand. What is the best way to get rid of it? My local pet store guy told me to pull it off and let the filter suck it up. Is this the best thing to do?

Thanks

Mike W

Lacrosseboss18

Do a search and you will find a lot of info on red algae or Cyano. You can go one of two ways. The natural way and the chemical way. A lot of people said that queen conches will eat it, turbo snails. I am having the same problem right now. What I did is I sucked up as much as I could, scraped the glass and then I moved my powerheads. I noticed that the majority of it was gone when I work up. After reading about the stuff people said that you should turn off the lights so I left them off all day. I would try movement of water first.

If you want a quick clean up there are chemicals you can get. I know one is called very simply red slime remover.

For other ways to cure it do a search.

well, I was having trouble with cyano, (it wasn't red it was more of a black) and I bought this stuff called Chemi-clean by boyd Enterprises, it worked great. HTH;)

Brandon

Take care of it before it gets out of control.. mine got carried away, and when I used the chemi-clean, it decayed the cyano so fast my natural filtration couldn't support it.

Archived