Pod Your Reef

SPS and stability in a .8

jane of baden

jane of baden

Everyone on this forum is right- I swear, this whole tiny reef has made me obsessive. My tank has 2 protopatylthoa, lots of coralline algae, 10 billion pods, 1 tubastrea, a emerald crab, a hermit (TINY!), and a free-range mushie (dont ask). So far I have NO detectable levels of nitrate, nitrite, etc, awesome stable pH. I do 20-30% water changed biweekly and nightly topoffs. I'd like a little acropora, maybe montipora... you know.... VARIETY!

So far, what I have ... considered:

A complete closed loc system, with a refugium underneath, using a mechanical filter, and in-refugium heater.

(problems here is I am unsure how to build ! I am leaning towards this. Refugium would be in pedistal below tank, closed off from view, would run lights at night- refugium size optimally 1.5 gallons)

ITTY-BITTY protein skimmer

(would be tough, but would be awesomely cool)

Lighting options:

-create a tiny little tank cover, LED array, using flourescent, whites, and blues-- this I can build!!

- free top; 50 w pendant, well above tank (12" or so), looking slick

Thoughts?? Directions??? Anything??

• 2 weeks later...

no need to skim if you are doing biweekly water changes. i'd be concerned about the tank heating up with 50w. you'll need to adjust it accordingly so you don't cook everything.

I dont know, maybe a monti of some type but i am not sure if the LEDs would be sufficient. Its such a small tank too that the parameters would most likely fluctuate alot.

Archived