Pod Your Reef

Pregnant Emerald Crab

VTCleitus

I just bought an emerald crab and brought it home to acclimate and noticed that it's underside is all puffed out (Looks like a pregnant blue crab). Is there any way that I can get the little crabbies to survuve?

Anything special I should do to acclimate it?

I have no fish in the tank, only snails...

It's a 10g with a 10g refuge...

What the **** they have live birth or eggs I have never read nor heard of crab reproduction. O cesar777 you are needed.

I have never seen mine be pregnate....O ya I only have one (duh)

I'm just guessing it's pregnant. I have seen blue crabs that are and this looks like the same kind of thing. Except blue crabs have orange eggs where as these are green.

Most crabs go through a larval stage where they are free floating feeding on plankton. To pull it off I think you would probably need to stop filtration, provide "green water", and provide only circulation. I'm not sure of the life cycle of emerald crabs though. My advice would be to leave everything as is, if they are larval your corals will get a good feeding, if not then you'll have alot of tiny emerald crabs. To my knowledge, the only crab that carries till the larvae are fully developed are the Malawi and Tanganyican Blue Crabs. I'm no expert though.

Definitely advanced-level culturing for crab nymphs; low success rate, if any. I'd just enjoy it, as the fish and corals will when the larvae are released.

• 1 month later...

I was just moving a rock in the tank and saw something move. Turns out one of the babies survived! I wonder if there are any more running around in there...

congrats :) hope it grows up to be a big one :D

Thats how i actually tend to breed most of my fishes and animals, just let nature take its course, if any survive, then its great, if they die, at least i didnt spend alot of time and effort just to fail ;)

I was just moving a rock in the tank and saw something move. Turns out one of the babies survived! I wonder if there are any more running around in there...

Far out! Do try to get a pic!

--Diane

Sure it's not just a small hitchhiker crab? I'd see that as the most likely case...

Sure it's not just a small hitchhiker crab? I'd see that as the most likely case...

It's definitely a possibility. I haven't added anything to the tank for a while now though and this was defintiely an emerald crab.

• 1 year later...

I have two emerald crabs, one green and the other blue. I've just noticed recently that the green one (the larger of the two) is carrying something on it's underside (ie: it's puffed out).

I wonder if those are larvae.

Archived