inTank Media Baskets

Looking for an eye-pleasing softie

duckhuntboy

My tank has always had a home in my girlfriend's apartment down the hall from me. Well, it is actually "our" tank, and she likes it a lot, but she has no idea anything about corals, and neither do I. I have all the requirements for a softie, but we just have LR right now. I was wondering what you all would suggest for an eye-pleasing softie, or what else should I get?

zooanthids, polyps, what? What's a relatively easy to care for lifeform for my tank?

3 13W PC's, 9 lbs LR, 2.5" DSB. 7g Nano bowfront.

do some green star polyps. they are bright green (well some of them) and grow really fast. you can also do xenia if you want.

Lacrosseboss18

I kinda like mushrooms. I think Ricordea look amazing. I would get some of those. http://www.thelogicalreef.com/ has some great stuff. I havent gotten any yet, but heard amazing things and am planning to get them sometime this month when he gets new stuff in. I think a mushroom tank would be really cool. All different colors. check out ricordea online and see what some of them look like. They require little care so i would go with them.

eye pleaseing soft coral? please, Xenia hands down what else can actually look like a SEXY coral? ### come** on any guy or girlw ho doesnt get turned on by them should see a sex therapist

nishant

technoshaman

Innuendos aside about 'soft' and 'hard' corals I like the tree corals myself. Some of the odd color morphs seem expensive but you can get decent sized frags for under 15 bucks many places and they are pretty and low maintenance.

I like the suggestions so far. I've never gotten a frag before though either. How do you put a frag in your tank?

???

Do I need to watch my ca/alk levels for these creatures?

depending on how it's fragged tells you whether special care will need to be taken. If it's already on a rock, and fragged, then you do the same thing as regular coral. If it isn't attached, then you will need to attach it somehow.(there are different ways of doing this rubberband, "superglue" etc. just ask how after you decide what you want). I would say no, you don't have to watch your levels unless you want the coral to grow. All of my coral was fine without doing readings, but when I started dosing, my GSP and other stars starting growing very quickly. So I wouldn't say you have to, but it will help the stars grows, and coraline algae also.

Brandon

edit: I agree with everything everyone has listed, I have some of each, and all are awesome.

i'm w/techno on the tree corals, very dynamic in currents. my wife loves my toadstool tho. : capnellas can be a little erotic too! :woot:

i also agree xenia (when pulsing) will have everyone's attention.

My votes for best softie are Xenia elongata (not that boring plain pink stuff) and Capnella. Just watch out with both of them...in good water they could be all over your tank in a matter of months. (Not that most people see anything wrong with that..its great to see corals proliferate so readily!)

ok back on the subject crakeur...

I have to agree with Diemos Xenia elongata and a capnella would be good, but in a 7G they might just over run the tank in a matter of months.

Archived