Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I few my feelings about the site and nano keeping

junglejim83

junglejim83

First of all, i would like to say this site is absolutely awsome.  Chris Marks this site as well as your knowledge and patience goes unmatched, i could not ask for a better man to be in charge.  You along w/ many of the "senior" members are a major reason for my succes.  To anyone who says these guys are jerks or #######s you just missunderstand them.  When people have a passion for something their emotions will show through, not because they are jerks but b/c they want everyone to experience the success they have had and they get upset when they see people doing things hastily or w/ out common sense.  Just keep in mind no matter how harsh they might seem they know what they are doing and have good intentions.      Anyone who says keeping saltwater and coral in a small tank is not possible and hard doesnt know what they are talking about.  I've had more success w/ this my 1st salt water tank then any freshwater set up i've had.  All you gotta do is be patient, and listen to what the people on this site say.  

ok now for a few tip/tricks i have come upon in my 4 months as a reef keeper which i havent seen posted.

If anyone is building a glass tank(although probably not practical for a samll one)or if a tank needs to be resealed, GE Silicone I(100% silicone rubber sealant) is the stuff that a handful of tank manufacturers use (i called GE and checked), and I've had success w/ it, and its about 90% cheaper(3 dolars for a 10 oz tube)  then the "aquarium" silicone they seal at the pet stores.

I built a pretty cool behind-the- tank-refug (no plumbing to worry about)using plexglass/acrylic and an an aquaclear mini.   I cut the plexi instead of bending it, and the thick weldon acrylic glue worked great(filled in any imperfections and is a very strong bond) and then i went over it w/ silicone although i dont think it was needed.(if any body wants a  detailed description just let me know in a response and i'll write it in the diy section).

I found an awsome help in cycleing the tank along w/ LR, which i havent heard anyone speak of on this site.  I had just finished cycling my tank when i finshed building my refug. When i added it i(my dumb ass)i just put in the 10 lbs of rock rubble w/ out curing it MORE and the ammonia spiked higher then it had ever had before.  and killed the few inverts and polyps that hitchhiked there way into the tank.  So i was freaking out b/c i had just finshed a 6 week cycle.  Well my friend who has a fish only tank mentioned this stuff FRITZ ZYME#9 nitrifying bacteria.  Well it fixed the water conditions in a matter of about 3-4 days(what probably would have been at least a 3-4 week re-cycle) until my lr could take over and restablish its self and i got caulerpa to remove the nitrate(the ammonia nitrite and nitrate all measure ZERO).  Now my tank is doing great, the water is so clear i got two beautiful false percs, and an awsome gsp about the size of my hand, and it opened up w/in two hours of bringing it home.  Eventually i wanna get i pic of my set up in the members section.  I have done a lot of diy work which has come out great and i wanna show it off, b/c i think it has been well worth it and it looks great.  Peace and enjoy your reefs. Once again thanks to everyone who has helped me.

hey Jim Im very interested in seeing your DIY refugium...I had a similar idea of using an extra aqua clear mini I had lying around...any specs and pics would be appreciated

Good post! This board has been a great help to me also. Thanks for sharing about the GE silicone, I had heard that it was safe. I'd love to know more about the refugium, I plan to build one soon.

Lunchbucket

glad this site could be of help, way back when i started my nano this site helped me sooo much that now i feel very very comfortable helping anyone out now :D  hope i can be of service and i learn from people here everyday ;)

Lunchbucket

Yeah, this place has surely helped me out lots.

I really like this board and how its setup, along with the regular members who really make this site what it is.

Good luck with your tank, we sure would like to see a few pics.

I also would be interested in seeing your refrig setup.

Thanks for sharing ideas. :)

Archived