Top Shelf Aquatics

Anyone have a Nikon 5700?

Sparkling_Surfer

Christopher Marks

I've had one since shortly after it came out. It's over 3 years old now, but I'm still really happy with mine, and it still takes great photos. The macro photo mode works well for coral photos.

An accessory I'd recommend is .5x and 2x lens adapters. You can usually find them as a set, they screw onto the barrel of the camera. The .5x wide angle lens makes for some spectacular macros.

You can probably get a great deal on one now. Maybe even the higher resolution 8700.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/

Sparkling_Surfer

I've done a lot of research on it and it looks like it is the master of macro, at least in it's price range. I'm looking for some nice macro shots to see how clear it is. I'll mainly use it for macro and wildlife.

Sparkling_Surfer

Thanks a bunch! Your pictures of the flowers are especially beautiful...and amazingly clear!!

I had to laugh at the 100,000 mile gallery...I always celebrate when my car makes it to the next 1,000 miles- she is almost to the 100,000 mile mark!

I use a nikon 5700 for all my pics. check out my 15g thread for pics.

or here's some samples:

15g156.jpg

15g137.jpg

15g148.jpg

15g151.jpg

15g120.jpg

for a point n shoot camera in its price range, I think it's one of the best.

only drawback to the coolpix line, and most all point/shoot, slow powerup/focus

I had a cp900 and a cp4500, both are pretty slow focusing too, great for still work, but horrible when your trying to catch the kids doing something cute, I've got lots of pictures of the back of my kids head.

I still have my 4500 as a backup camera, and a d50 as my main, I couldnt go back to a point/shoot, they are just too slow

yeah, I agree. it is kinda slow. But I don't think I've ever tried to use my Nikon 5700 to take pics of people (I need to get a life), so hasn't been a prob for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive had a 5700 for about 2 years, and I take a variety of photo's year round. Im an all weather kinda guy and Im kinda camera snobby cause I grew up tooling around with my old man's Canon Rebel EOS.

My two cents: the camera is ok. Its not great, and its not terrible. It doesnt do motion photography very well at all. I find the shutter tends to stick anywhere below -10 degree celcius (which sucks cause I love winter sports/activities), and the battery doesnt last nearly as long at those temp's either. I also find that the automatic modes are terrible; so if you know very little about photography this camera is not for you. I tend to always use the manual mode settings. Using manual mode, in combination with its slowness in use (from the time you push the 'take picture' button to the time the picture is taken) is very slow. So if you want that 'OMG, get that bird before it flys away' picture, good luck.

My advice is to skip the Nikon and head to the low level Canon EOS in the same price range. The next time I buy a camera, Im heading straight for the EOS, I adore that camera.

All in all, its not a bad camera, but I guess it depends on what your doing with it. I feel the Canon EOS is far more superior for all-round photography.

happy reefin'

Archived