Coral Vue Hydros

where's the nitrates?

Donna

o.k.. .I'm confused...My tanks been up for 3 weeks now..I had a very small cycle..nitrites and ammonia never got over .25 and .50 respectively and nitrates never went over .5. These levels have all been at zero for a week now and there are 4 astrea and 2 nass snails in there. Nothing else. I haven't done a water change yet because I haven't seen the need to. I'm wondering where are the nitrates though? I tested today and there was no color change at all in the test sample. I use Seatest kits. I was so suspicious that I tested with the reference...and that was ok so the test kit is fine. Shouldn't there be SOME nitrates there at least from snail poop or am I missing something here? I see no other life ( well one tiny fanworm so far) I'm adding some zoos tommorow. Specs again if needed:

10 gal AGA

2X36 6500, 50/50 on 10 hrs

S.G. 1.022

temp. 81

Phosphates 0

Nitrites 0

Ammonia 0

PH 8.2

Calcium 400

TIA for any input

What kind of filtration do you have?

It doesn't sound like you have a lot of livestock. Do you have any algae in the tank? Do you have a skimmer?

I wouldn't worry about it if everything in your tank looks alright.

forgot the important specs

18 lbs live rock

15 lbs live sand

no skimmer

diatom bloom came and went

have a little red slime and a little hair

thanks for the replies guys...I worry too much. Zoos go in tommorow and then I'll slowly add as money allows.:D

Donna,

Sounds like you got really fresh rock. When I bought my rock, mine was fresh as well, and I never saw Nitrates.

I agree with Fant....you're probably about there.

Oh, don't worry, the nitrates WILL come. Often, early on the anaerobes that convert nitrates to nitrogen can keep up with the nitrate production because there is nearly no bioload. As you "stock-up" so will the nitrates.

Archived