Pod Your Reef

Finally, no more topping off the 2.5!

LiQuiD

Well, I have really been getting sick of topping off this little tank and didn't want to go through the hassel of an auto topper (also don't trust if it doesn't shut off or doesn't turn on for that matter). I was pouring at least a quarter gallon in a day, and am sure the salinity was swinging all over the place. I made this 3 days ago out of some old plexi-glass I found in the garage in like a half hour. I thought I would fill it up , cap it, and see how it went. Well, glad to say that in 3 days now, I have not lost one drop of water (well I am sure a drop made it out, let's call it undetectable). THIS IS GREAT! I read that someone else had sealed off their system and that it worked so I figured what the heck, what have I got to loose. Well I lost the having to top off every day, maybe a few drops while doing the water change. Oh, and the temperature is more stable now then it was (less swings) and no, it is not overheating.

Good job Liquid. I like tops on my tanks too. Just like you I find temperatures are more stable and not topping off every few hours to be a good thing.

Oh, and one other thing I forgot to point out, I was also thinking of making a mini overflow box to use with the HOB (cut the tube of course) or throwing in an airstone because of the surface scum that always seemed to be there. Well now that the quickly evaporating water is condensing on the plexi-glass, it is dripping back into the tank just as quickly, causing the surface tension to be broke up quite often. What I am getting at is the fact that I no longer have any surface scum from the dripping water.

No more top offs, more stable temp., and NO SURFACE SCUM, what else could I ask for from a cheap flat piece of plastic.:woot:

Liquid,

Can't really tell from the pics - where exactly is the piece of plexi-glass? Sitting on the white lip of your hood?

Thx....

No, on the black rim of the actual tank. Look by the wires to the PH & heater or look around the HOB were it is cut out to help with the depth perception.

Ah...gotcha...I see it now.

Question - how did you cut your plexi-glass? I've tried several ways, but haven't found a good way yet. Circle saw - doesn't work - it "grabs" the plastic & wrecks the sheet.

I tried to score it with a boxcutter and then break along the score, but the stuff's too thick... What's yer secret?

A scroll saw would probably work best and is what I would have used if I had the blade for it when I decided to cut it. I scored it over and over and over again with a sharp new razor deeper and deeper each swoop. Then supported areas that I didn't want to break between my des and a heavy book, then used pliers to snap the pieces off. I was really scared myself that I would end up snapping the wrong part but I got really lucky. Next time it will be a scroll saw all the way.

Hey LiQuid -

Pretty much do the same with my 2.5G. I had a Nyquil cup of RO per day and it seem to keep about right the water level just about perfect. I did have any issue with my plexi warping after a while - probably due to heat from the lights. I ended up cutting some strips of plexi the length of the cover and then used Weld on to secure it to the plexi so that it woundn't flex.

As far as cutting, a table saw with plywood blade works (something with a fine tooth). Other blades will work, but you'll often get chipping and the cut won't be smooth.

-Ed

• 8 months later...

man and i just got my drip system all running perfect for my 2.5, and now i find this thread. well i guess it is time to rev up the dremel. i have a strange obsesion with reving thing (pumps, engines, dremel, screwdriver, drill you name it i have probably rev'ed it some how are another)

I Dont understand why many people havent discovered this...

i put a specially made peice of glass which cost me about $3 on top of my tank and in the last 6 weeks i havent had to top of my 10 gallon whatsoever.... i have had to do water changed regularily though.

Thank god someone has caught on... You da man Liquid ;)

Hey Liquid,

Are there any pH issues? Also, i'm assuming all your beautiful corals are doing just as well as they were before? If so, I may really consider doing this to a 5.5 i'm setting up soon. Thanks,

Joon

This is a kind of old thread. I have removed the lid a while back due to issues with dosing and feeding the tank. It was too much of a pain in the ass to get the damn lid off everyday to feed the fish and add the calcium etc. The PH was fine with it I just figured it was easier to add a little water with the formentioned things with ease as apposed to the extra step of removing the lid. It is great however if you are going on vacation or over the weekend for an office nano to keep salinity levels normal.

Archived