SaltCritters.com

My 10 gallon

LizardQueen

I know it is a sad sight to behold. Riddled with hair & bubble algae. :(

This tank was born out of necessity. After my 75 gallon reef cracked open I had to move the surviving fish (both clowns) and coral to this tank. It's a tossed together setup but I am slowing making the improvements now.

10 gallon AGA

2 X 36 watt PC light one 10K one 03 actinic

Aquaclaear 200 HOB fliter media removed.

A minijet powerhead & disabled miscellaneous other PH.

I use the surfece skimmer that I am having a hard time getting the suctions to stay in place

Mated clows (have spawned twice)

Zoo's, frogspawn, toadstool leahter, tons of xenia.

I will add more livestock once I better the equipment.

Any thoughts or ideas. Please know that I am working on the algae woes :)

My pictures that I hope I am attaching correctly....

Looks very nice. Where are you located? I would love to get my hands on some of that white xenia the next time you cut it back. I have tons of the red sea (pinkish blue) and am at the point of throwing it out sometimes because I can't even give it away, but have been looking to get my hands on some white, I just can't see paying for it at a LFS (kind of like going to a garden supply store and buying the weeds growing in the parking lot). Well the tank looks really good, are you planning on keeping it a nano or going back to a big tank?

Liquid-

Thanks for the kind words. The tank needs some help but it's getting there. The xenia is a very pale pink (better pic down below) I live in California though. :( Too bad, I would have liked some of the red.

Ross76053-

My 75 gallon had been up for two years. I had to take it down when I wanted new carpet laid. I set the tank up again when that was finished. All was level when the tank was setup. About six months later in the middle of the night my dog started barking, I ran into the living room to see a crack in the front pane of the glass. It started from the bottom right corner and reaching towards the center of the tank. It just got bigger & bigger, by the time I had it drained a good sized chunk had cracked open. :(

About 30+ gallons on the new carpet (bless home owners insurance) and thus the 10 gallon was setup. As it turns out the carpet settled in an uneven fashion and the tank was of by 1/4" causing far too much stress to the right side of the tank.

I want to keep the nano going long term. I am saving up for a larger tank. By next year I hope to have enough saved. :)

Christopher Marks

It's too bad a lot of nanos are born that way, but better than no tank! And once you have that little nano, there's no escaping :D

Lovely looking system LizardQueen, nice job!

Wow - so sorry to hear about that. Chris is right, if it's any consolation, we love yer nano-reef!

Every time I get somewhat close to buying a [big] tank, I hear another horror story about breakage/floodage.

Chris & Ross-

Thanks for the kind words. It is amazing how nano-reef keeping sucks you in and how wholly addicted one becomes. :)

angelofdeath132-

I do like this lighting combo above all others I have tried. I used the 10K & 6.5k (actinic), 50/50's but this one takes the cake. The 03 has a purple hue to it but the 10k white takes up that slack IMO. The corals really do fluoresce well under this combo. HTH

well, if you want ideas for your hair algae problem, I would say go with a turbo, or emerald crab, I bought emerald for my 10 seahorse tank that was having trouble with hair algae, and within a day, it was gone. and if after that algae is gone(if you decide to go turbo), you can always return it to you LFS or give it to someone else who might need it. By the way, tank looks GREAT.

Brandon

Archived