SaltCritters.com

New plans

chvynva916

Let me know what you guys think of my quasi-final plans:

10g AGA tank with 3/4" bulkhead behind a custom made overflow box. 10g AGA sump with two baffles and a fuge in the middle. The glass store quoted me $70 to do the overflow and the fuge. 55x2 w PSL hood with one actinic one 10000k over the main tank (I know it will hang over a bit since it is 23" but it is only $10 more for the 55x2 over the 36x2 so I figured if I ever want to move to a 15 or 20g I will have the lighting). 15w NO 6500k over the fuge. Hagen 802 return pump. Prizm skimmer in the fuge. Zoomed powersweep in the main tank (I know but I have it lying around right now. 2" sandbed (that prepackaged live sand stuff) in the main tank. 4" in my fuge. 12 lbs figi rock in the main tank. Inhabitants will be my sebae clown, torch coral, zoos, xenia, open brain, candy coral, shrooms, and more stuff eventually. I have access to a 500g reef tank and will take some macroalgea from that and some stuff from its fuge to seed my fuge.

Any thoughts?

hey,

well, that sounds like a great setup to me, however, unless you are using the prepackaged live sand for something other than bacteria, IMO you're wasting your time. Just make sure if you get corals that could irritate each other, to keep them far enough apart, but sounds good, can't wait to see pics.

Brandon

I figured the pre-packeged live sand would be good for the bacteria.

Here's something I've been thinking about...I'm transfering the contents of my established 5g to the new tank. Do I have to do this slowly? I would think I could use all of the old water, add another 15g, and between the established rock sand and water in my tank, and the pre-packaged live sand there shouldn't really be any cycling. Am I right?

I think you should be good with what you said, although it's a 5 gallon water supply that is cycled, plus the 15 gallons of uncycled, I'm not sure if that's gonna cause a mini cycle or not. If you have good bacteria pop. on your rock, and in your sand, you should be ok, but there is a chance for a cycle with that extra 15 gallons. If you are adding a skimmer, you should be ok anyways. Just be careful, wouldn't want you to lose all of what you have. what about leaving your five gallon running, while taking the sand and rock out, maybe not all of either, and see if there's a cycle, if there isn't than transfer it all. I would try something like that to be on the safe side. Tell, me what you think, maybe we can put our heads together on something if you don't like my ideas.

Brandon

I would set up the new tank first. Add your bagged live sand..and give it a few days. Then transfer your live stock. If you need some real live sand. I can bring you some once class starts again. And if your really interested i could make the sump with internal fuge for alot less then 70.

I think I'll aclimate it slowly like you two suggest. Kant, do you go to Penn State? The $70 covers the modifications to the tank (3/4" hole and custom overflow), and the baffles for the fuge. Thanks for the sand offer. I think I'll probably use pre-packaged live sand then just seed it with sand from the penn state aquarium.

Archived