Pod Your Reef

tips for taking good pics with Sony Cybershot 3.2Mp?

jmorris

I am having trouble getting decent pics with this cam. The two main problems I have are: 1) can't focus in macro mode 2) can't get colors show up like they really are... everything looks bleached.

I have a feeling it has to do with the metering and white balance, but my attempts to adjust these properties usually just make things worse.

Can anyone help me, or is this camera never going to be good enough to take decent representative pics of my corals? I don't have the money to upgrade my cam after all the money I dumped into my pico contest entry, so any advice along the lines of: "Toss that POS, and get this $1000 cam" is pointless. Maybe a reasonably priced accessory for my cam that will allow me to take better pics?

Thanks,

Jared

OK...

I found this:

Sony VAD-PEA lens adapter

unfortunately, it seems to be discontinued, and thus, hard to find.

My other option is this:

after-market 37mm lens adapter for DSC-P72 and DSC P92 digital cameras

Any thoughts on which one would be a better choice? Will it be easier for me to find 37mm or 30mm lenses? As far as macro lenses go, what kind of magnification powers should I shoot for to achieve good macro shots (I want to be able to take clear closeup shots of my SPS's polyps, coralites, and viens) ? What filters would help me get better color resolution when taking macro pics of SPS under 14K MH lighting?

Thanks,

Jared

Blind Tree Frog

If the camera has a 2 second timer, you can use that to help stabilise the picture and make it let fuzzy.

Even if it does, or if it doesn't, it also helps not to release the shutter button until after the picture has clearly been taken. This also helps reduce camera shake.

Can you set the white balance in the camera when you take pictures? It can be touched up afterwards in Photoshop or Gimp anyhow. Gimp is free too.

OK, bidding on the the 37mm adapter, and won these lenses off ebay... hopefully they make macro photos possible with my little cam. Now I just got to learn how to work Gimp, and my photos should get much better!

Wish me luck,

Jared

honestly, i have found that sony cameras suck for reef pics.

i have the same problems you are having with my sony cybershot.

tagging along (with hammer ready to smash my cybershot)

I really hope this adapter and lens kit helps with the macros.

As for the color/white balance issues, I'll keep playing with the program settings... maybe I'll even read the manual, and Google it a bit, maybe there's someone out there who's solved this problem already? Also, I just downloaded The Gimp, and have printed out almost the whole manual... Wow! It's like a semester-worth of material here! hopefully a good image editing program like the Gimp will help.

I like my Cyber-shot a lot for general pic-taking, but you're right, as far as reef photography goes, it's not the best. Someday I'll get a nice Nikon... someday.

Jared

the only way i get somewhat usable pics is if i chance the white balance to fluorsecent and change the focus to the center focus, and put everything else auto. pics sometimes turn out a bit blue, but at least they are clear.

Archived