Top Shelf Aquatics

A funny night in the tank 'hood this evening

Chineseghoststory

Chineseghoststory

The degree to which behavioral luncay seems to be precipitating in my fish-only (for now) tank this evening is stunning. My fish ate and then spit out a piece of his own crap that was floating around. Mildly amusing. If he had a bigger brain I suppose he might be praying no one saw that. My camel back shrimp, who after three days in there has yet to venture so far as to have a look at the other side of the tank, seems to enjoy looking out and watching me instead. The 2 hermit crabs got into a harmless yet pointed little shoving match as they vied to pick at the same small area on the LR.

Later on I saw the small one literally riding the big one around as though in revenge, cleaning his bigger counterpart's shell. The big one looked irked but couldn't shake him. I still dig that little "click!" sound in the middle of the night indicating that one of them failed in some daring feat of upsidedown LR climbing and fell off, hitting the glass on his way down to the sand.

And when the lights are off I can just barely see the 1/4 inch long tip of the spiked arm of god-only-knows-what as it comes out of a small crag in the LR, searches for any nearby food and then disappears back into the rock. Probably a bristle worm or brittle star which I may have to deal with when he gets big enough. Kind of like a bigfoot sighting. This is the first night I can say I have been outright entertained by my tank to the point of laughing aloud.

Jeff S.

I recently had surgery. I came home from the hospital and stared at my tank for over two hours absolutely looped on pain killers. Pink Floyd drifted in the background as I sat mesmerized by all the activity in the tank. My wife smiled weakly as I calmly told her how cool it was. One night I gave her one of the pain killers and insisted she do the same. She sat in front of the tank for hours asking me all kinds of distant questions about the various things in the tank. Way too cool.

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but did that great LFS you go to suggest that you get that coral killer, I mean camel back shrimp, for the reef tank you are attmpting to start? When you do decide to buy your first coral, just before the purchase, slap the shrimp on the LFS counter and tell them that you are done with the shrimp they didn't bother to tell you would eat your coral and that you would like the price credited to the coral. While your at it, you may as well throw that sponge up there for an extra 50 cents as well. Sorry to keep going on about the LFS by you, its just that I wish I was there to have a conversation with them myself, it would be enjoyable.

Archived