Cultivated Reef

How many people with 20 gallons...

Aggie05

have no other filtration other than LR and a sump? I am thinking about doing a 20 instead of a 10 but am wondering if I can still get away with no skimmer. Thoughts?

setting up a 20g at this time and I think a skimmer is whatever your preference is. All a skimmer would do, saying that you have plenty of live rock, is spread out the lengths of your water changes. I do a weekly water change now on my 10 and I have no need for a skimmer, I will continue to do the water changes once I get my 20g finished!

I added a berlin Air lift skimmer to my 20 about 3-4 days ago. It is taking out a good amount of gunk. I am happy with it, but prior to that, I ran without it for a year

I've been considering adding a skimmer to my 20L setup since I've been battling cynobacteria a bit. The organic particles in my 20 seem to be a bit high. However, I did notice a drop when I moved my filter intake around and repositioned my powerheads, but I'm thinking a skimmer would fix my problem entirely.

Here is a link to my old 20 gallon tank http://www.californiareefs.com/tank20reef.htm

It's a 20 with no filtration.....just circulation. There is a micron bag in the sump (in the pics) that was used for bubble control but did filter out a little detritus....not much since the bags lasted 6 months before even starting to get dirty. It was a great tank....probably one of the best I've ever had.

With tanks like this (no filtration) you need to be carefull to balance your bioloads and keep fish population low.Hope that helps....most of my tank specs, maintenance, and setup are on my page and if you have any questions just shoot me a pm or email.

Cameron

quiksilver5768

hey cameron, i was just wondering...how much of those additives do you add. Unless I read incorrectly, the only one you specified was that you add 1 drop of Lugols per week. How much do you add of the calcium and reef builder and etc...I know this is your "old" 20 gal, but i was just wondering in case you might remember...

I usually added 2 teaspoons of buffer to muy makeup water each time I refilled it when empty....

I added 1.5 teaspoons of the calcium every week...

One drop of Lugols each week...

2 capfulls of Reef Solution per week....usually one cap every 3-4 days...

The calcium is the one thing that fluctuated a bit.....don't know why but the calcium consumption varied around 75ppm once in a while.

Cameron

Archived