Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Purely Selfish Research

MaryHM

I'm not terribly familiar with nano tanks, since I don't do anything under 4000 gallons anymore! What are nano reefers looking for in the way of livestock? Is it mainly a size thing? Certain species? Certain characteristics?

if i had your money, i would setup 100 7 gallon tanks.. HAHA..

and use the rest of the money for a few more 7 gallon tanks...

WOO HOO...

you should try it, it can be fun and entertaining.. ;)

I can't speak for everyone, but I think Strife hit the nail on the head when he mentioned "money". One of the big advantages of a nano is that you "only" have to spend about $500 on a nice system and not $5000. I know I'm more likely to purchase corals that would be considered small or especially frags. Also consider that more new reefers are starting out in nanos, making hardier species a better choice. Hope this helps!

Hi Mary -

Nice to see some in the business looking into what folks actually want. As Strife said, a lot of Nano has to do with $$$ and time and maybe not so much creating a specific "species" environment.

As far as time goes... obviously the smaller the tank, the quicker the maintenance. My 2.5G takes about a minute to do a water change (a couple of cups out, a couple in), but beyond that... its nice to really observe whats in the tank up close. I find that I spend as much time looking at my 2.5 as I do my 29.

BTW, do you let folks check out your facilities? Sounds like you folks have quite the set up over there.

HTH

Ed

Originally posted by MaryHM

What are nano reefers looking for in the way of livestock? Is it mainly a size thing? Certain species? Certain characteristics?

Hi Mary.

The adult size of the livestock is to be considered. What will be able to stay in our tank for years? Since our tank sizes range from very, very small to about thirty gallons that will vary. Also the swimming patterns of the fish are important, most of us don't have much in the way of "free swim" area.

Since we are limited to small amout of livestock because of tank size we try to pick something interesting. Opinion on what that may be varies from person to person. Most people really enjoy bright colors so clownfish and damsels are very popular. The though of what can be successfully kept in these tank is being challenged everyday.

I think the most important thing about livestock is that it be healthy and eating prepared food well. There is nothing more disapppointing than buying something you really love and having it go downhill because of some unknown health problem or having it not eat and waste away. Since most of us only have one or two fish we invest a lot emotionally in them.

As far as corals.... due to limited space we need animals that do well in close quarters with other animals.

Lizbeth

4000 gallons = $20,000 + (should be the minimum)

you could do the standard 30 dollars per gallon..

which would put you at $120,000 bucks...

imagine that..

like i said..LOTS of NANO's...and LOTS of vaccations..

and lots of different more nano's..and you can do you own research towards reef keeping too.. HAHA

You are not terribly familiar with nano, but you are obviously familiar with the hobby in general and really have no need to ask this question I feel. From your signature's website it would seem a good advertising ploy. OK, what do we want...hmm....coral for our little reefs. Hey, you have some corals for sale, how lucky for us. Just make them small and cheap;)

Ah, as you can see Mary we are skeptical, suspicious, defensive bunch... my guess is it comes from years of being told we were destined for failure before we even started. Should have seen the look on the chic's face at the LFS when I bought a 5 gallon tank and a box of salt... it was priceless, then I had to endure the "speech" of how it was not possible to have a saltwater tank of less than 30 gallons. (she was promptly dismissed and given a card with the web address of this site as well as my user name, told her to call me if any questions... she was cute,hehe)

Anyway, back to the matter at hand... What do we want? Well I will not say I speak for everyone but think there is a good few that would agree with what I might say.

I got interested in nano's for a price/space kinda thing.. I've also been fascinated for years by the practice of bonsai...perfect blend for my tastes. So instead of asking for the impossible like corals that only grow minimally and stay to scale of a nano and fish common to the hobbyist available in a dwarf size as well, I would look to the more practical... starting with equipment.

Everything in a more minute scale but without the inflated price. Filters, powerheads, heaters, and especially lighting. Research who the customer base is for IceProbe chillers and thermal compact heaters, mini-style HOB filters and the small HOB refugiums, my bet it's overwhelmingly nano keepers. Great to see some of these things becoming more common-place. Love seeing things like the smaller wattage halide setups come around too.... why the hell they got to cost so much anyway?...lol If I could find a VHO bulb that would fit a ten gallon tank... blammo URI actinic like right NOW,hehe Oh and if you can come up with a mini, self-contained all in one unit Calcium reactor that doesn't cost a weeks wages I'll buy it, um, well can I be the tester first?..lol Interesting tanks as well, something a little different than the standard glass box, afterall nano's are special in there own right... thanks and praise be to AGA for the Minibow! (we're not worthy, we're not worthy *genuflect genuflect* ) Okay, enough about the hard goods.

I'd like to see a broader availibility of aquacultured corals in general but especially frag size. I'd also like the pricing to match a little closer to the size of that piece as well. Like an nice size acro colony you can purchase for 70 to 100 bucks.... frag it and you got 20 pieces, buuuuut at 25 to 30 bucks a pop?! I dunno maybe just me but I feel like I'm getting gouged on that one.

Well I'm running out of steam here and this is taking on the conotation of a rant, which is not how I meant it. In general I'm not displeased at all with what's out there and available to us... more and more stuff shows up everyday and the interest in nanos is growing proportionally as well... I think that's very cool!

Nooow, what's yer best price with shipping for a killer "six pack" of SPS frags?

EDIT: well some nano-reefers are not so bright as well... take say, GLAZER for instance. I um got on this thing about equipment with only a little diddy about livestock... posted it and then saw that your question ONLY had to do with livestock... oh well, I'm leaving the equipment part in... maybe somebody interested in pumping that stuff will read it....lol Sooooo, to answer the original question, in a nutshell... Small cheap frags that look bi*chin' and won't croak.

(god this reply is huge! I gotta find a job and spare everyone here from my "too much free time let's just ramble on about chit that ain't pertinent" posting! )

glazer,

18" uri vho 30W from championlighting.com

i'm presently running 3-aquasuns and 1-actinic over my new 15H (same as a 10g but 6" taller). i bought the hood from dave because someone (who will remain nameless, glazer) went on vacation. :P

i got the retrokit from hellolights and the diy dunce that i am finally put it together over christmas break. if i had all my tools together in one place i probably could've polished it off in a couple of hours. had to cut down the reflector and re-drill the holes tho. :( looks ok, i post pics in couple of weeks.

uh um, yeah, 18"... um I knew that... what I MEANT to say was if I could find a VHO bulb to FIT A FIVE GALLON and those T8 HO bulbs to fit a TEN GALLON.... yeah, that's WHAT I MEANT to say...

Aw geez I just got caught up in the spirit of things... MY spirit unfortunately....lol :blush::rolleyes:

well some nano-reefers are not so bright as well... take say, GLAZER for instance.

nuff said

Very cool on the hood tiny... I'm sure Dave did a very good job for you, thanks for the consideration though, I couldn't have helped ya anyway... I'm on "hood hiatus" for the time being. Yeah, post that pic... would love to see the finished product!

Well since the thread has been de-railed a long time ago.....Hey Glazer, I see you are into bonsai's. I was almost as addicted to them as nano's not to long ago. Anyway, if you ever take a trip out to New York City, you have got to stop at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. I used to go there like on a bi-weekly basis. They have some hundred plus year old maples and elms that would blow your mind. They also sell pots, moss, and baby elms and such in the gift shop. They also have a really cool indoor rain forest that is very interesting as well. That's it. I'm Out.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is research for a business as someone pointed out. I didn't want to out and out say that because I know better than to commercially post, but I also didn't try to be sneaky and hide the fact of who I am. Hence the title "Purely selfish research" and the mention of the large system ;) I've been on the boards for over 3 years now, moderate over on reefs.org and am smart enough to not try to scam a board with some ad ploy. It's just that I realize that these tanks are becoming very popular and I was trying to get a feel for what nano-reefers want. Where better to do that than the nano reefers board?? Being stuck in my little wholesale bubble for the past several years has put me out of touch with many of the advances in the hobby aspect of things. Yes, I'm very familiar with the hobby, but not every specialized branch. Nanos are a new thing- something that was unthinkable in my hobby days. Heck, I didn't even know about this board until someone over on reefcentral pointed it out during the FAA legislation campaign a couple of weeks ago! Anyway, I believe in doing my research before jumping into things- a characteristic that more hobbyists should possess! :) Again, thanks for the replies, they are very much appreciated. More please!

I think you'd get a better idea not in one thread, but in all of them.. lurk.. watch what people are saying about different livestock and equipment. What does and doesn't work. Effective nano-reef equipment can make all the difference. Smaller, less expensive, less heat, etc. You'll find out a lot of the ways people are turning ordinary stuff from the hardware store into efficient nano-reef equipment. But I don't think you'll find all that ingenuity in a single thread, but instead, in all of them...

xman,

since we're wishing: i want a tiny skimmer and tiny heater for my wishlist. those are major factors limiting the sizing of nanos into the pico region for CELA reefers (common everyday lazy @ass) :P like myself.

for example, Logical Reef has been hitting it big because (imo) his livestock is perfectly sized for nanos (considering eventual grow out) plus beautiful. many of the propagators (some sponsors) are well suited for the nano niche of the industry imo.

Originally posted by tinyreef

since we're wishing: i want a tiny skimmer and tiny heater for my wishlist.

I'm on it Tiny.. I'll see what I can do.. *takes a few hallucinogenic mushrooms*... ooooooooh yeah.. I'm wooooooorkin' on it... ;)

Archived