ReefCleaners.org

Starting a 2.5 gallon

nanoDarth

Hey everyone hows it going? well i've been researching my ass off in bookstores, boards, articles, people, and now I think im ready to begin a 2.5 pico. I would go bigger but I dont really have the space. Anywho here is my list of equipment:

-2.5 AGA tank

-18w coralife PC (on its way)

-black sand

-HOB filter

-50w heater

as for livestock im still looking around but nothing complicated, maybe a clown goby. i know theyre pretty small but is 1 the limit? has anyone tried putting 2 in a tank, just curious. well hope to update with pics often and get second opinions along the way. hopefully ill add the LR tomorrow and start cycling. latez and thankz!

PS. i know the black sand will be a pain to clean but i usually have too much time on my hands...^_^

you are pretty limited to fish with a 2.5. Really, even the clown goby is pushing the limits. Yes, people have put 2 (or even more) fish in a 2.5, you will hear "Yeah, I've had 2 in my 2.5 for 3 months now without any problems, they are both very happy" However, at 3.1 months the tank crashes and they suddenly get very quiet about it. So if you really want livestock, find the space for a bigger tank.

Good luck! :)

It will increase the bioload capabilities for your over all system, but you still have a very confined area for your fish.

It's just like being trapped in a 10'x10' foot room; you can have all the best food, water and entertainment in the world, but it's still a 10'x10' room.

It will increase the bioload capabilities for your over all system, but you still have a very confined area for your fish.

It's just like being trapped in a 10'x10' foot room; you can have all the best food, water and entertainment in the world, but it's still a 10'x10' room.

I beg to differ. Small Gobies, such as Clown Gobbies only ocupy a small spot and rarly venture out.

I have a 2.5g click on the picture in my signature..of the zoanthids...and it willl bring you to mine (which is still like 1.5months old).....and i have the coralife light...nd if your not going to take it out of its housing and spread out the lights in a DIY hood then it doesnt really spread the light out to well...i was very dissapointed....so i added another Coralife 18w. light that i had laying around.....anyway..to finish up.....i would say go with a different lighting fixture such as the 18w light from Current USA which also has moonlights in it

I beg to differ. Small Gobies, such as Clown Gobbies only ocupy a small spot and rarly venture out.

Agreed, but I was just advising him against cramming two or more fish in a small tank just because he has a 10gal fuge.

cool thanks for the replies and reading my post. im definately just gona put ONE fish if any in my tank. i might upgrade to a 10g but that not might be till the spring.

hello everybody. i added my live rock and sand yesterday. noticed that in one of the pieces a little clam wast attached to it so i got it and tonite when i got back home i noticed a little tongue sticking out of it :P its got a bit of green and its only about a cm big. ill post a pic up soon. has anybody else gotten a clam like that and do i have to feed them or anything?

• 3 weeks later...

I've found several hitchhikers like yours in my rockwork as well. Never bothered to feed them specifically although I do use a little DTs Phytoplankton once per week but that's more for the xenia's, giant clam, etc. The rockwork you picked up looks great, by the way.

Keep the pics coming as you add more!

Regards,

PaulS

just finished cycling. theres a bunch of brown algae so gona go get my clean up crew maybe before xmas. thinking just 2 astrea snails. going really slow ya know...

How's the temperature stability? Any way to raise the fixture up, and go open top?

Looks nice though, the scale of everything seems right. :)

As far as the clown goby, I'd wait and try to establish a good habitat for one first.

BTW, after brown algae, green and hair algae :lol: If you don't have anything you need to feed, you can keep the nutrients under control and wipe it out.

• 3 weeks later...
How's the temperature stability? Any way to raise the fixture up, and go open top?

Looks nice though, the scale of everything seems right. :)

As far as the clown goby, I'd wait and try to establish a good habitat for one first.

BTW, after brown algae, green and hair algae :lol: If you don't have anything you need to feed, you can keep the nutrients under control and wipe it out.

i dont want to go open top because i have a lil brother runnin around the house and he has a tendency to throw things and want to stick his hands inside the tanks and toilet when he gets the chance.

well here's a quick update:

i added 2 cerith snails and a hermit about 2 weeks ago, but both snails died after 5 days. then a week later my clam was on the other side of the tank its shell empty. so i'm thinkin that maybe the hermit might of eaten all 3. damnit!

last week i added one mushroom and a zoo frag. the mushroom wont stay put so i mite glue it. as for the frag im going to glue it more closer to the light. been doind water changes twice a week and currently lookin to add some moonlights. :eek:

i came home today and saw one of my new astreas ejecting some white stuff. this wnet on for like 2 minutes. i managed to take some pics but this is the only one that didnt come out too blurry. does anybody know why it was doin that?

Hey, that is my tank! Almost...

Keep an eye on your temp with that glass on there.... you really gotta watch it. I pulled the glass out of there on mine and made a stand of sorts of balsa wood to keep the fixture out of the water, but low enough to act kind of like a hood. I guess about 1/4 inch or so over the water.

As for fish in this setup, if you get a really, really small shrimp goby, and have a home for him once he gets bigger, go for it. He may jump out, but the temp spike from the glass, unless you keep your room REALLY cold, will kill him too.

My tank went over 87 degrees with the glass on there. With a fan blowing on the water, it was at 83, which is still too hot.

I have had great luck with a red-headed goby. Got him over a year ago at 1/2 inch and he is 1 inch now. Not a jumper, but very active and seems happy playing in all the coral frags.

I kept a barber-pole goby (very small) in the tank with a pistol shrimp for about 5 months but he jumped out..... 'nuf said there.

Good Luck,

David

Hey, that is my tank! Almost...

Keep an eye on your temp with that glass on there.... you really gotta watch it. I pulled the glass out of there on mine and made a stand of sorts of balsa wood to keep the fixture out of the water, but low enough to act kind of like a hood. I guess about 1/4 inch or so over the water.

As for fish in this setup, if you get a really, really small shrimp goby, and have a home for him once he gets bigger, go for it. He may jump out, but the temp spike from the glass, unless you keep your room REALLY cold, will kill him too.

My tank went over 87 degrees with the glass on there. With a fan blowing on the water, it was at 83, which is still too hot.

I have had great luck with a red-headed goby. Got him over a year ago at 1/2 inch and he is 1 inch now. Not a jumper, but very active and seems happy playing in all the coral frags.

I kept a barber-pole goby (very small) in the tank with a pistol shrimp for about 5 months but he jumped out..... 'nuf said there.

Good Luck,

David

yea i noticed the other day when a bit of water got on the glass and it just steamed off! i got some popsicle sticks taped and glued em and raised the lighting about an inch from the glass. so far so good. yea i still need to add in more frags and let the tank get adjusted to a routine.

yea im actually looking into creating a fuge right now since I dont really have space for a sump at the moment. I was looking at Ann's DIY fuge that she made for her pico contest and im thinking of trying that out. I already got some glass and silicone and will post some pics soon.

latez

• 2 months later...

Archived