Top Shelf Aquatics

a few small problems

cjm033

i just got some live rock a couple days ago and i have 2 hitchhicker brown polyps 1 is about 1/2 cm and the other 1.5 mm fully extended anyway the first one was open within the hour of puting it in the tank the first day now it is always closed and the small one is fully extended. i did a w/c last night an nothing happened with the big one little one is still opeing all the way. anyone know whats goin on?

next question i have had abumble bee gobie in that tank for about 7 months and yesterday i found him all torn up and dead on the bottom of the tank no signs of a mantis he has been through some of the worst water conditions. i havent heard any clicking sounds at night so not a big chance its a mantis. anybody have any ideas on that?

thanks for your help,Chris

Do you have crabs? Funny you should say that, this morning I turned the light on in the fish only tank and noticed my decorater crab eating a damsel like a corn on the cob. I banished the crab from a larger reef a while ago for tearing up the coral to put on his back, and now he is eating my fish. The crab isn't that large (1 1/2") but all they have to do is grab the fish and hold on. Your fish may have also just died for some other reason and the crabs just decided to fill up on the decomposing carcas. I saw a dead fish in a LFS tank fall to the bottom once, it was in a crab tank, all the little buggers went nuts, hermits, emeralds, etc. were like pirahna, they were throwing each other off just to get a bite of the fish and it was gone in a matter of minutes, I personally enjoyed the hell out of watching it. Well you will never know without the autopsy. Sorry to hear of the death.

i dont think i have any crabs i havent bought any or seen any yet in the tank i look in the tank,and within a day the carcase was gone without a trace the fish wasnt very big tho about 3/4 an inch o well just means i get a new fish hehe,Chris

Archived