inTank Media Baskets

How to make my overflow?

chvynva916

What's the easiest/cheapest way to make/buy a 10g tank with an in-tank overflow. I don't want to worry about a siphon so a built in bulkhead and overflow box seems the best way to go. I guess my options are:

(1) - Buy one. The only one I can find is from wetdryfilters.com. It looks great but its $90! Any other companies willing to make me something like this that you guys know of?

(2) - Make one. I have no glass drilling experience/equipment. I'd have to borrow a drill from my friend, buy the necessary bits and putty, construct my own overflow box, and pray that the AGA 10g I wanted to use doesnt break.

Any ideas?

Should I just go with the siphon overflow (I have an old one lying around)?

I feel your pain. I originally used a HOT specimen container and drilled holes and slots where I could with out breaking the plastic to allow it to surface skim into the intake of a MJ400 which then pushed it into my fuge. This worked well for a while however with the container being clear there was some algae build up (to be expected) so I took out the overlfow and I just let the MJ400 chill in in the tank. I have some surface scum but I have a MJ606 that nails the surface so it breaks it up. Here are a few www links for DIY overflows as well as other SW related DIY projects (Glazer and lizbeth among others should eat this up although I'm pretty sure they've been there done that :))

OZReef

Reef Central DIY

About.com DIY

There are tons upon tons of DIY sites but these are the major 3 I have been on. HTH and post pics :)

hey chvy,

Hmmm, well unfortunately easiest and cheapest are seldom if ever synonymous. Have you checked around any of the local glass shops to see about them drilling the tank for you? I lucked out and found a glass shop just down the street from me that charges five bucks a hole no matter what size or what in... how cool is that.

If you absolutely cannot find a shop to do it you can do it yourself if you purchase the bit of course... cheaper than a diamond bit is the glass/tile cutting bits that fit in Dremels and Rotozips. It looks like a drill bit but is a spiral type cutter. It can and does work and I've done it but I tell you, the noise (gawd what a sound that is), dust (afraid to pour water on my Dremel,hehe) and pure stress involved in doing so makes that "5 buck a hole" the deal of the century! I would definitely opt for the drilled approach first and foremost. You could then just make a small skimmer box to fit around the bulkhead (see the "Slits,slots,nada, what? thread over in DIY)

If you opt to go with a siphon overflow then I would really check out the "Acrylicman" dude over on RC or you can get him on Ebay, user name there is "displaycollectibles". He does truly awesome quality work and he quoted me a price of like 40 bucks for a custom siphon box (small sized) that handles about 300 to 400 GPH... oh and the internal box was black acrylic as well. Um, I went the drilled route....lol

Put up a pic when your done with it... as Ox pointed out I'm a DIY freak and love them piccies and stories of all the huntin', searchin' and associated angst....lol

Good luck with it. :)

Originally posted by chvynva916

(2) - Make one.  I have no glass drilling experience/equipment.  I'd have to borrow a drill from my friend, buy the necessary bits and putty, construct my own overflow box, and pray that the AGA 10g I wanted to use doesnt break.  

Awww come on try it. Those tanks are only 9 bucks, go ahead, break a few. :D

Ya know...I might just try it...... I have a few of them laying around.

Archived