Pod Your Reef

royal gramma????

majic051

recently I read that Royal Grammas can't be kept alive for any prolonged period in captivity...does anyone know if that's true or not?

thanks allot,:P

that's bull. i have seen plaenty of people keep royal grammas alive for ever all you have to do is give them proper retreats and nutrition. lots of members on this board have kept them long term.

Hi,

I got my royal gramma 3 weeks ago. As said before, he really, really needs a good hiding spot. His favourite place is at the back, left of my tank, in a cave I never knew I had. It's an indentation in the LR with a bolt hole to the front the size of a dime. Really, you can't see him when he's in there -- although sometimes he hangs out with his snout pointing through the hole.

From everything I've read and seen, they're shy; he mostly comes out to feed ... and sometimes to inspect the shrimp if they get to close to his cave. That said, he's gorgeous, and his shyness just makes it cooler when he does come out front. Of course, at the merest hint of danger, he can make it into his cave in under a second ... which also is pretty cool to watch.

cool..i have allot of hiding places for him........what size tank is youres in and what is he with?.........do you think one would be good in a 10gal.?

You could keep one in a 10 if you don't have much else in the way of fish. I think these guys can get to 3 or 4 inches long. At the most maybe you could get away with a second fish and a shrimp but 2 fish will add a bit of load and make more work for you. Also, they tend to live on vertical reef walls and under shelfs in the ocean so if your tank has the space and you can reproduce it this may be the most natural reproduction of their environment. A cave is a must as mentioned above. Mine likes to hang vertically along my rock in the current and wait for food to come by in the water.

Archived