Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coral Graveyard (Graphic Intense)

Mnesarchus

I just got back from my trip to the Mayan Riveria a few days ago, and I found something there that both fascinated and disturbed me. It was a few miles away from the swimming beach, at least a mile of coral skeletons washed up on shore. I took a lot of pictures, very sad.

:*(

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

I was amazed at how much there was. Anyways, just thought you guys would find this interesting. I have about 15 more pics if anybody is interested.

Mnes

technoshaman

Just curious is this man made like people pulled this from the ocean and dumped it there for the heck of it? If so what are they doing? Bleaching them for sale to tourists? I am planning on going to a archaeological dig down in yucatan peninsula this summer would be curious to see this regardless.

Edit - I see you said washed up on shore. I wonder is there is an increase in bleaching/dying corals/algal blooms in this area from El Nino?

Honestly, I have no idea. There is no way they pulled them all up, though.. I would guess there are about a million skeletons on that mile long strip.

By the slope of the beach, looks like there was recently a storm (or maybe normal Winter occurence) that pulled the sand from the shoreline and exposed the dead corals that washed up over the years and brought in a new set of rubble. Coraline will bleach to white in a matter of a week out in the open, which leads me to think that the most recent washout/in was maybe in the days preceeding your photos.

I believe that this is the regenerative power of the ocean ecosystem at work. Corals on the beach will bang around in the surf, degenerate and create sand. Also, the coral skeletons that you show there were probably broken away to make room for new frags to grow in their place.

OF COURSE, if this is a popular snorkelling site, the dead coral could easily have been caused by 50 snorkelling boats throwing their anchor lines directly onto coral heads to secure the vessels and get the tourists in the water, day in, day out, 360 days of the year.:(

Archived