inTank Media Baskets

Kalk Reactor Help

Pili

So i've pretty much decided that i want to set up a kalk reactor of some sort on my tank. I dont have enough money or space for a full blown caclium reactor so i think a kalk reactor would better suit my needs for those reasons.

Here are my questions...

-Would i need some type of way to dilute the effluent (sp?) with pure water so that it isnt going straight into the tank? Or would just having the ATO going straight though the tank and up to the display be ok. Currently i have about 10 ish sps frags, 2-3 larger colonies, and a clam but i am definatly going to be getting more over time.

-I dont think that i have the abilities or the equipment to DIY a reactor so i would probebly buy one unless someone could build one for me on here. Could someone point me in the right direction as to which ones are better than others?

Thats all my questions right now but i'm sure i will have more.

Thanks

Pili

Start simple - Kalk is easy to use, that's why it's so popular. you don't need any complicated equipment - that comes later if you want to have a more automated system.

The cardinal rule of Kalkwasser is to dose it slowly - most people will dose overnight (when a tank's pH is naturally low due to the light's being off and no photosynthesis going on in the tank). The most simple way to do this is to put a container above your tank and use some airline tubing w/ a cheap control valve in the middle of the line to control the drip rate and then just let it gravity-drip all night long.

Dosing it w/ a cheap ATO w/ a powerhead is a really great way to kill everything in your tank - especially with nano-reefs - just throwing a cup of kalkwasser into your tank will spike the pH and cause very dangerous conditions in your tank - especially if something gets stuck in a cheap float switch and it fills your tank w/ kalk - take it from someone who learned the hard way :(

You don't necessarily have to mix Kalk to it's full strength (1.5 Tbs/ gallon) start w/ about 1/2 a tablespoon of kalk/ gallon and gradually move the amount up until it keeps your alkalinity and Calcium levels where you want them to be. I dose about 1/2-gallon of full-strength kalkwasser (all of my evaporated water) to my 24-gallon nano cube each day, and I don't have heavy calcium demands. I can do this safely because I have a set drip rate that keeps up with evaporation 24/7.

after getting the basics, you can worry about how to dose.

Personally I feel that kalk reactors are not worth the time/money. I use a 6-gallon bucket of Kalkwasser and once it is mixed, it is saturated - I use very small holes in the top to feed airline tubing through so that it gets minimal air contact (air-contact will precipitate out the Carbonate and calcium and make the kalk less saturated)

to simplify matters, I use a peristaltic pump - they can easily be set to a desired rate, and once they are set- they will continue to work day in/ day out without any fuss. I feel that it is by far the most valuable piece of equipment in my entire tank - and makes keeping a reef tank a whole lot less work and more fun.

Using this system, my calcium, alkalinity, pH and water level of my tank are all taken care of, and I only need to re-fill the bucket once every two weeks. Other than that I scrape my glass for algae and feed my fish - the only maintenence my tank needs.

I agree with max that the process has to be thought out completely but, if done correctly, kalk is perfectly safe.

Drips are the easiest way and taylored to the system. But, like adding 2-part.....your hands do something EVERYDAY! Nothing feels better than stepping away from the tank for a few days without worrying about a dip in Ca or Alk.

Something to take into account when running kalk through a reactor with an ATO. How much evap do you have? If you have alot, then more kalk will be added, thus a higher risk of overdosing. Too little, and you may not keep up with Ca/Alk demands. However, they can be totally safe. Example, when my ATO turns on it can pump 1/2 to 3/4 cup of "fully" saturated (9.9mS on a conductivity meter) kalkwasser into my 20L (25 total gallons with sump). My pH NEVER leaves 8.2!

Another thing to keep in mind is do you have a skimmer? An efficient skimmer will greatly minimize the pH effect of Kalkwasser.

Ok, so a slow feed up into the tank is ideal as to prevent pH changes. Got it.

Having a gravity fed ATO is not an option for me as i dont have a sump or room to put it above the tank.

Right now i have a cali reefs float switch that adds alot of water at one time (havent actually measured it though but i'm sure its to much). I dont think i would want to have a peristaltic pump either because the evaporation varies quite a bit also depending on the temp and day or night (when my door is opened or closed).

Is there a pump maybe that is a low flow (like peristaltic flow) but high pressure that could pump up to the main tank and that i could attach to a float switch?

onthefly: I have a remora skimmer, probebly a little undersized for the tank size but it pulls out alot of gunk. Would that be considered effiecient?

Remora will be fine...I run an urchin :)

One thing to consider if your gonna run a pump off of a switch......is the switch relayed? VERY IMPORTANT!!! Because of added back pressure there will be a higher draw on the pum and most of those switches are rated fairly low.

My unrelayed switch stuck open in the testing phase of my reactor (TWICE!). Since getting a relayed switch....it has worked flawlessly!

Something you can do is run a PH (like a MJ900 or 1200) and choke the outlet down to get the flow rate you want. I stepped down from the 1/2" outlet on the MJ to 1/4" airline and the flow is fine for my 20L.....I'd assume on a 40 it'd be fine.

ok, thanks that clears alot of confusion.

My current float switch is unrelayed but i need to get a new one because the one i have set up now is pretty ghetto.

I'm assuming that i could also run a valve on the ATO line if i needed limit flow any more.

Now to figure out the reactor and i can get it running.

Archived