Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what to do with my DSB

Chief Brody

I am in the process of combining 2 established tanks into 1 tank. I am moving contents of the 10 into the 20.

Over the past week or so, I have moved 13lbs. of LR slowly, 1 piece every 48 hours into the 20 gallon tank from the 10, I check every 24 hours for spikes in ammonia and nitrate, so far so good.

My question is regarding my DSB. I have a good 2-3 inch base in my 10 gallon and a good 2-3 inch in my 20 gallon.

What should I do with the LS in the 10? If I scoop it and add it to my 20, I will probably cause the 20 to cycle again right or at least spike? How can I take advantage of all the life that is in the 10 DSB?

Any suggestions would help.

cupful by cupful?

I suppose that will work and i will get the benny's of all the critters in the sand.

I really want to avoid starting another cycle.

As flaunt said, do it slowly. You don't wanna snuff out the critters living in your 20's bed now, so add thin layers over the top.

RC is down now, but I seem to recall some stuff in the Dr Ron forum about adding sand to existing tanks, you may want to do a search over there if you get the chance.

-Ed

Archived