SaltCritters.com

3 gallon Pico

kinetic

I've become obsessed with SW tanks! I'm getting a new 82 gallon, and I now also want a pico 3gallon.

I'm new to "pico", so was hoping I could get some input. Here is the setup I'm planning:

Tank CPR Pico-C 13.5" L x 5.5"W x 12.25" T nanocustoms.com $160

Lighting Finnex 18watt 10000K / 7100K PC

Live Rock 1 or 2 lbs. from my established tank

Live Sand About 1" deep bed of LS from my established tank

Saltwater 2 gallons from my established tank, 1 gallon Catalina NSW

Moonlight Current USA White Moonlight marinedepot $15

Light Timer Digital Timer

Heater Eheim Jager 50 watt, $15. Will it fit?

Thermometer Corallife Thermometer bigalsonline.com $7

Automatic Top off Reef Fanatic Level Controller + Tom Aqualifter $115

Cleaner Smallest mag float I can find $5?

Fish

Purple Firefish (is it too big?)

or Randalli Goby (too big?)

and an adult Naso Tang (haha)

Corals

Pulsing Xenia (i'll have to trim this a lot I know)

Ricordia / Yuma

Mushrooms

Zoanthids

Inverts

2 Scarlet Hermits

2 Small Nassarius Snails

1 Small Trochus Snail

1 Cleaner Shrimp??? (too small of a tank?)

First off i'd say your crazy if you pay 160 bux for a 3 gallon tank! You could get a custom made for cheaper.....but anyway your plan looks good,i'd say go with a really small goby though.Firefish are too big,get a clown goby or a trimma,or evotia or something that gets 1/2 inch.

That tank i think its the same one im thinking of is really tall,scaping it would be a challenge.Seriously look at a custom tank it would be half the price and you can have any shape you want.

Just my opinion though.

Your crazy Koden! :lol:

I agree that you should look for something cheaper than that. How about a small acrylic cube? Ask Paul at firstclassaquatics.com He is building something for me, and he supposedly makes really good stuff.

ah... looks like that little tank is way overpriced... ok thanks for letting me know, lol. I feel like a dumbass =)

I've tried asking custom builders to make something small like that, but most are too busy with bigger systems?

Maybe i'll grab some junk acrylic and try it out myself...

thanks for the links guys.

ps. I'm bad at the price thing... I come from a car hobby, buying exhaust systems for over $1000, putting down $4000 for entire motor/transmission swaps, $3000 for custom turbo kits, $3000 for custom paint jobs. So things that are $160 seem way cheap to me =X (I"m definately NOT RICH, i'm super poor, I just save like there's no tomorrow).

Tks for the links Fishman602

Didnt know Finnex made a 8 gal-- was already looking into the 4 gal for quarantene and inverts-- thks id rather have the 8 gal..

Koden-- yu are having to much fun bro-- keep up the good work :D

Izzue

Tks for the links Fishman602

Didnt know Finnex made a 8 gal-- was already looking into the 4 gal for quarantene and inverts-- thks id rather have the 8 gal..

Koden-- yu are having to much fun bro-- keep up the good work :D

Izzue

yeah lol, i'm going nuts with these tanks =P they're all going up early next year =)

Yeah, I'd say $160 is a bit high for a 3g, especially considering I can pick up a glass 2g for $9 ;) Custom acrylic tanks shouldn't even cost that much. The Pico-C does have nice curved corners, but for an acrylic tank thats "mass produced", this shouldn't add too much to the total cost, as you'd just heat it up over a pre-made form. You can do this at home with your oven. It does come with a pump, bio-balls, & lighting, but the Rio pump isn't worth it, imho, and the 18w lighting included shouldn't add that much to the price. Bio-balls are too cheap to even worry about, yet who uses bio-balls in a SW tank anyway?

CPR's stuff is generally overpriced though, imho. $100 for a rectangular hob fuge with a crappy rio pump?

Yeah, I'd say $160 is a bit high for a 3g, especially considering I can pick up a glass 2g for $9 ;) Custom acrylic tanks shouldn't even cost that much. The Pico-C does have nice curved corners, but for an acrylic tank thats "mass produced", this shouldn't add too much to the total cost, as you'd just heat it up over a pre-made form. You can do this at home with your oven. It does come with a pump, bio-balls, & lighting, but the Rio pump isn't worth it, imho, and the 18w lighting included shouldn't add that much to the price. Bio-balls are too cheap to even worry about, yet who uses bio-balls in a SW tank anyway?

CPR's stuff is generally overpriced though, imho. $100 for a rectangular hob fuge with a crappy rio pump?

The fuge isnt that bad 70$.

Archived