Cultivated Reef

I went shopping!!!!

lil reef

I kept reading about Skipton's Pet Center in Boston and had to check it out today. Well, to make a long story short I walked out $145 lighter! I got a Yasha Hashe Goby and Red Banded Pistol shrimp, a Staghorn Hermit and finally found Selcon in New England! I hope they will be OK in my 7 gal nano (with 2 1/2 gal refug) til the 28 is finished. I currently have 6-7 hermits (mainly blue legs but 1 scarlet and 2 zebras). 3 Bumble bee snails 2 cerith snails and 1 astrea. 1 Banded Serpent star and Perc. pair. On top of all that I have my ricordias (2), tonga Shrooms, and Hammer (quarter sized) coming tomorrow!!! I probably shouldn't have gotten the goby/pistol shrimp til the 28 is completed but I couldn't resist. I rationalized it by saying to myself that the fish is only 1" long how much can he poop? I hope the clowns don't harrass the newbies too much waaayyy to expensive!! Do you think I will tax the sysem too much?

How long until you get the 28 done? If I'm reading correctly (and I think I am) you have 5 fish in a 7 gallon aquarium right now. Here's my rationale. You said you bought two gobies today and you have clowns (that was plural, meaning more than one) and you have a goby, pistol shrimp combo. If that's right, or even close to right, you have a whole hell of a lot of fish for a 7 gallon. You may be able to pull it off for a little while, but I believe that the well-being of your little tank is doomed. My little 7 couldn't handle two false percs so I had to move to a 20L which has now turned into a 29g. No telling what the next upgrade will be. :) Good luck with it.

Matt

No I only have 3 fish in the tank a pair of percs with the female being about 1 1/2 the male about 1" and the Goby and red banded shrimp pair. I probably have another month or 2 before the 28 is ready

• 6 months later...

I've been there. I'm still in the planning and purchasing phase for my 10 gal nano so I don't want to compare it to other stores. But from the perspective of a freshwater veteran who has a lot of saltwater research done, it seems like a pretty decent reef source.

Their live rock was pretty bare though. That made me upset because now I have to pay for the shipping from an online dealer. Do you guys know of any good stores with live rock in or near Boston? Or any good lfs with saltwater stuff?

Originally posted by sheffboyrd

(edited)

Their live rock was pretty bare though. That made me upset because now I have to pay for the shipping from an online dealer.  Do you guys know of any good stores with live rock in or near Boston? Or any good lfs with saltwater stuff?

Of all the LFS I have been to in the Boston (and North of Boston) area, the only one with SOMEWHAT decent looking live rock was Sea World Pet Center on Rt. 28 in Salem, NH.

You can also hang out on the Boston area Reefcentral.com Forum boards and jump on any posts where local peeps are selling off their live rock.

Archived