ReefCleaners.org

New clowns and pods

gullmo

I just bought my first fish for my 20 gallon nano two weeks ago. A pair of ocellaris clowns. They have seemed to adapt nicely and are constantly swimming and appear to be in great shape. The only problem that I am having is that they are being very picky in their eating habits. They were eating flake at the pet store where I bought them. They will eat the frozen brine soaked in vitamins that I feed them but not much of anything else. There is a huge pod population in the tank and I think they may be supplementing their diets by chowing on the pods, in fact I have caught them in the act. If this is the case, what nutritional value do pods have? I know some fish such as mandarins only eat pods so I would guess they are okay. Brine soaked in vitamins can't sustain them forever so should I just keep trying to starve them a few days and then offer flake or just let them keep eating pods?

Thanks

Pete

My new Ocellaris is swimming on a horizontal plane but his body is tilted at an angle most of the time. What's wrong if they are swimming diagonally?

The clown has only been in the tank a few days. He hasn't been willing to eat yet either. :(

I am not too sure about the funny swimming habits. Mine do all sorts of weird things but are healthy. And now that they have decimated my pod population they have begun to eat the flake that I offer them. All I can tell you is to have patience, they will eat whatever you put in the tank once they get hungry enough.

My perc stays vertical in the corner of the tank half of the day, then swims around the whole tank a bit. When I open the top for feeding time he comes up like a dog, wagging his tail. He'll take the mysis shrimp right from my fingers. I would recommend you try the mysis, supposedly they're very nutritous.

Turns out the little bastard was holding out on the eating for either just plain frozen brine shrimp or Formula One. He'd probably eat anything that's more money or hassle than the flakes.

Takes the flakes I was offering in his mouth and spits them out. :D

Originally posted by Metznreef

hubu, what's wrong when they are swimming diagonally upward?

i guess it depends on the clown then, bc i have bought a couple of wild caught clowns. theyll swim near the glass for days and eventually swim diagonally upward with their mouth open. then eventually theyll die.

Archived