Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Where to buy a red light for viewing at night?

proraptor

Im looking for a light I can use to view my tank at night (I hear the red light doesnt disturb any of the creatures) So where can I get one? Thanks

Do you want something like a top strip light or a handheld flashlight?

I use the latter--picked up 2 red LED flashlights for astronomy years ago (they were cheap--take AA batteries--I think I got them mailorder from Orion, but local hobby shops that carry telescopes, etc, may have them).

But, borrowing tricks from astronomers, there are much cheaper ways. You can cover a regular flashlight with red cellophane or plastic wrap, or color its lens with a red permanent marker.

(Gives me an idea--I wonder if one could color a tube that's past its life expectancy for normal use in a hood, but still works?)

For a top light on the cheap, buy colored plastic notebook dividers (look for a package that has a red one) or report covers--place red plastic under not-too-bright white light (maybe your regular hood, a FW striplight, a trouble light w/ incandescent bulb...watch out for heat, though). Use as many pages as necessary or cut them to size so that all of light source is covered. Stack red sheets for darker color...

For more sophisticated red lights I would check astronomy catalogs...

HTH

--Diane

I have a ton of red plastic lens that I use for night viewing if you want. The fit over flashlights, but you will have to tape, or hold it over the light. I will only charge you shipping if you want. I will try and put a pic up when my camera batteries charge.

Archived