Coral Vue Hydros

Red Sponge Tree

BRIANSTINYREEF

BRIANSTINYREEF

I HAVE ABOUT A 6 INCH PIECE OF A RED ORANGISH SPONGE TREE. DO THEY REQUIRE ALOT OF LIGHT OR DO THEY PREFER MINIMINAL LIGHTING. IVE HEARD BOTH AND AM CONFUSED?

THANK YOU

the confusion's probably because of the description. if you can post a pic we could then probably determine if it's a photosythetic or non-photo coral (carnivorous).

true 'red' corals are usually non-photo, being deep water animals. the lack of red light spectrum at that depth makes them appear black.

some colt-type corals (photosynthetic) can appear very rusty red in color as well tho.

sponges are an odd addition to a reef. I have a strange orange and red sponge growing like wild all over one rock in my tank (hitchhiker) but other sponges that I added never lived. In my old 60 gallon I had a blue sponge that grew all over the place and I ended up having to trim and toss tons of it. I have no idea where it even came from.

IF you do want to keep sponges, there are powdered foods that you can add to keep them living.

And to answer your question, they are non-photosynthetic and need no light at all. You can put them in light if you want, they won't really mind... just be aware that if algae gets a foothold on the sponge it can overgrow it, choking and killing it.

BRIANSTINYREEF

I EXPOSED A SMALL PORTION OF THE SPONGE TO AIR. I HAVE WHITE COTTOM MATERIAL ON THAT AREA NOW. WILL IT COME BACK OR IS IT DEAD FOREVER. I KNOW THATS FROM THE AIR POCKETS THAT GOT INTO THE SPONGE BUT DO THEY COME BACK IS MY QUESTION ITS A SMALL PIECE..5 INCHES WITH TWO BRANCHES

Dude, you really have to knock it off with the caps. You're giving me a headache.

Originally posted by BRIANSTINYREEF

DO THEY COME BACK IS MY QUESTION

Um, that wasn't your question, but OK. It probably won't recover. It's just a small section? Slice of the affected part and the rest of the sponge will be fine.

quiksilver5768

STOP WITH THE DAMN CAPS man...its really annoying. Hit the caps lock key, right now.

And also, sponges are an odd addition to a reef and not many people have researched them very much, but why are these threads about sponges in the Advanced Topics section. The gonipora thread, that was good, but this doesnt need to be in this section...

of course it's obviously chris's call where to move these threads but imo sponges aren't pushovers. maybe chicken liver sponges or random tubular ones are easy hitchhikers but balls, blues, large tubes, and massives are difficult imo. (even if it's just acclimation, healthy specimens, or rarity issues)

dr.ron's article in the link below goes over basic descriptions.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19.../wb/default.asp

Archived