Innovative Marine Aquariums

My setup seems to be going well.

Sahin

Here is my system specs:

A)24G (36inch length) tank.

B)Lighitng: NO Actinic, Daylight (9.5K), 6.5K Triphosphur

(Note lighting tubes selected after seeing another UK reefers tank with same tubes)

C)RedSeaPrizm Skimmer (Was loud at first, getting quieter each day)

D)2 x Maxi-Jet MP600 Seems somewhat strong, so only one is running at the moment).

E)Reef Crytals salt (I may change to IO salt, as this one doesnt seem to mix well).

F)25 Lbs of Fiji + Higher grade CURED Live Rock.

Comments: The live rock cost me about £115 (US$168).

I tested the Ammonia, Nitrite + Nitrate today.  The only reading I got was for Nitrate which is at a high 20ppm.

So it looks like I wont be getting a cycle.

The rocks came with various small, tinsy corals attached.

Ie, 1 small green mushroom, and 2 small red mushroom, 2 x cabbage coral, loads of tiny green botton polys, loads of tiny feather dusters, few bits of macro algae and other algae sargassm (spelling???).

A few large rocks the guy gave me from thier display tank, while others came out of coral dosplay tanks.  So these peices were definately cured/aged etc.

The other 50% came from the "cured rocks tank".

I just have 2xblued legged hermits, and 1x red legged hermit, 2x astrea snails, and 1 black snail that is a hitched.  There are other critters that hitched a ride too; for example a tiny brittle star.

Heres a few pics:

The Aquascaping is totally crap.  I just put the rocks in as it is for now, going to add a bit more as 25lbs isnt enough for this tank.

reef.jpg

reef2.jpg

reef4.jpg Green Mushroom. Is that a purple leather coral??? Let me know on that one.

Let me know what you think.

Also, let me know what that purple flat blob is, I think its a purple leather coral.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, the nitrates are about 20ppm, should I carry out a water change? 10%, 20%,50% ? let me know. Thanks.5reef.jpg

(Edited by Sahin at 2:24 pm on May 28, 2002)

Nishant3789

nice! the last one is a ricordia and some sorta sponge in the background. nice button polyps. im surpriused to c such good quality LR in the UK! well good luck!

nishant

Hi Sahin

Looking good, I don't think I would worry about 20ppm Nitrate just yet - test in a few days to see if it's still going up. Did you test your water before anything was put in?.

I agree with Nishant also about the sponge.

Also I would put both powerheads on it helps to have good flow on & around the rock, you could try fitting the diffusers if they came with the powerheads although not critical if they didn't. :)

Thanks for the comments. :)

Paul G: the nitrates were about 5ppm in the R/O water.

I buy the R/O, I tested the quality from several LFS, and they all seemed to have a little nitrates in thier R/O water.

Well, keep the comments/advice/suggestions coming.

Thanks.

(Edited by Sahin at 6:08 pm on May 28, 2002)

Archived