SaltCritters.com

Starting a Tank

Bunky Squid

Bunky Squid

Well first off, thanks to anyone who does read this thru.  I've done a lot of research (mainly online, BBSs etc) over the past month and a half, and I've decided to do a reef-tank.  I've ordered a 25 gallon acrylic (5 gallon built in sump and 20 gallon front tank- 24"x12x16). Eventually (after sometime) anemones, clams, and zooantheids are goals, but for now I'll be sticking with easier livestock.  What are opinions on amount of lighting I'll need for the long range?

Im already committed to the tank choice, --it comes with built in skimmer and filter

-- I've been thinking about retrofits from JBJ 2x55watt or 2x65 watt, also CSL 2x65watt, and this random guy from Ebay-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2036085754  --hes offering 3x55watts

Also have questions about aquascaping techniques and water flow(PHs and placement)

Wow! If you read all that I appreciate it.  I'm sure any responses will raise even more questions.

Thanks

Fishiebusiness

Hey there fellow cal person! Glad to hear there are some people around here into reefing. If you plan to eventually have clams, you'll definately want to get as much light as you can afford. That ebay hood looks quite reasonable. For around the same price you could probably get a 175 watt MH light setup which would most likely be even better. Your tank sounds like a very nice setup with the built in features.

Fishiebusiness

I have no personal experience with metal halides but there was a site which sold a150 watt ballast for 60 dollars or so. I am hoping someone knows the link. If you get a bulb rated 12000K or above, there should be enough blue so that you need no actinic supplementation.

Bunky Squid

What would be the drawbacks of using a metal halide unit sold from an industrial lighting store or hydroponics?  I'm not thinking of one for my tank, to much heat I'm sure, but if people had larger tanks.... could you buy grow lights from police auctions from drug busts?

Just curious... What is the brand/model of the tank you bought?   Where did you buy it and, if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay?  I'm looking for a tank like that and I've only found a few options.  Thanks!

If you go with halide remember that you'll need a fairly high canopy, or possibly a pendant since you won't want all that heat too near the acrylic of you tank.  I agree though.  I'd get a 175 watt MH and 1 55 watt actinic or 2 20 watt NO actinics if you want to keep clams.

Bunky Squid

If I go with a 175 MH and the 55 watt PC, which corals are no longer going to be options?  IMO clams would be cool, but I don't want to scorch most everything else.  Would 3x55 be sufficient? thats about 8.5 watts a gallon

This is the guy who I ordered the tank from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2035839658

He makes them in only the 18 gallon and 25 gallon setup as far as I know, but you could probably convince him to do something custom.

I know next to nothing about halides, but I doubt buying grow lights would work.  Lights used to grow terrestrial plants have a much lower color-temperature than specialty aquarium lighting.  Your corals (and clams) will need light with a higher kelvin rating than those offered through most industrial lights.  The spectrum isn't right and they won't be able to use it.  

Archived