Pod Your Reef

Calcium additives only in morning?

Seth

I read on my Kent marine calcium buffer that I should add it in the morning to prevent pH overshooting.

Just wondering if anyone knows why pH would overshoot if not added in the morning.

And if my pH is really high, what should I do? ???

Thanks!

PH is usually at it's lowest in the morning. It should be about 8.2 in the morning and then rise during your photo period and peek at 8.4 sometime during the day/evening. PH should generally not rise about 8.45 and this is why they recommend adding it in the morning when the PH is at its lowest point (the buffer can rise PH). Note that 8.2 to 8.4 are ideal. Sometimes mine fluctuate between 8.1 in the AM and 8.3 in the PM.

Here is a little excerpt from a little tech article here http://www.californiareefs.com/tanktechchemistry.htm

IMPORTANT HINTS ON DOSING - Calcium and Alkalinity Buffers: This is another issue I have run across many times in years of working at fish stores and thought this would be important to add to this page. When is comes to dosing calcium and alkalinity buffers it is important to understand what they can do to each other if dosed at the same time. They have the capability to "cancel" each other out and be useless. In my opinion, based on customer feedback and my personal experiences, there are two ways to go about the dosing of these elements. (1)You can add the calcium buffer and alkalinity buffer on different days to avoid conflict, or (2) you could add your calcium buffers in the early morning when the pH value is at its lowest and your alkalinity buffers in the afternoon or early evening when you pH values are typically at the highest. The pH values in your aquarium have a daily variance. The variance in pH can be associated to the amount of dissolved co2 at a given point in time. If you want a more scientific explanation...*Quote from The Reef Aquarium Vol.1 by Sprung and Delbeek* "Carbon dioxide dissolved in the water from the atmosphere and respiration by animals and plants, is responsible for the daily variance in pH. As co2 dissolves in seawater, it immediately forms carbonic acid (h2c03), so that little co2 is actually present in the water. The carbonic acid dissociates into carbonate (co3-2) and bicarbonate (hco3-) ions. The seawater buffering system works because these compounds shift back and forth in equilibrium reactions when changes in the concentration of hydrogen ions occur, tending to maintain a pH of 8.2. Removal of co2 by photosynthesis results in less formation of carbonic acid, and therefore raises the pH. Retention of excess co2 in the water because of poor circulation , or administration of co2 by means of a dosing system, causes the pH to decrease. As the co2 equilibrates with the atmosphere, the pH naturally returns to about 8.2 if the carbonate/bicarbonate buffer system is no depleted." Confusing, I know, but basically gives you a scientific reason why these two things should not be mixed together or even within an hour of each other Either way you go, opposing days, or morning and night doses, you should avoid any complications with maintaining these levels.

Cameron

cliffrouse11baseball

I am adding bionic 2 part I add a then about 10 min later add b it seems to be keeping my calcium and alk up but i dont know...

Originally posted by Seth

I have the Kent Marine A&B Buffer thing.

So you mean that I should add A at one time and B at another time.

Rite?

The A&B formulas have "binders" in them that keep the calcium and buffers from canceling eachother out....it works but they are not nearly as good as the powders or purely individual additives added at seperate times.

BTW.....watch your salinity with those A&B formulas......it can increase it if your not carefull :o

Cameron

Archived