Coral Vue Hydros

Anyone using the Eheim Aquaball PH?

Glenn

Well no experience but ya did say comments were welcome right?..lol

Well, it looks cool I'll say that.... dunno about the "best supported" powerhead, from what I see it's still four suction cups. They may suck, which would be kinda good actually or they may not suck, which would be bad if you know what I mean.

The ball and socket thing is a cool idea but you can only tip it so far down or your intake strainer hits the wall. My guess is that you are somewhat limited in the amount you can tip it up as well, I mean there has to be a powercord somewhere, betcha it comes right into the top.

Soooo, that leaves the majority of the motion as side to side... this is achievable with a lot of power heads... for instance on a MaxiJet, just pivot the output where you want it.

Too bad they don't show the "installation kits"... those ain't cheap huh?, but the spray bar thing sounds interesting.

So all in all.... I'd say for no more output it has flow-wise and the cost on it, plus double the money if you wanna try out the spray bar thingie.... it's just a spendy gimmick thingie, albeit cool looking though...hehehe

technoshaman

I looked at one in my LFS today that's nutty for all things Eheim. Its well built but 2 things came to mind playing with it:

1) It seems kind of loose in the ball socket so might be hard to keep pointed in the spot you wanted and might drift when water is pushing through.

2) It's big. It was about the size of a orange with the intake strainer dropping down another 1.5" it looked like. not conducive to small nano IMO but would be ok in 10 gallon and up.

Other than that it sounds cool. Someone posted some neat mini powerheads that had movable nozzle awhile back. They might do the trick too if you can find a etailer for em.

No nano yet, still researching...

This is no powerhead but it is new and I think it may have a few advantages for a nano - someone smarter please steer me away if I'm missing something. If the picture doesn't show it is a Whisper internal microfilter. The flow is bottom to top through a powerhead and there is a floss/carbon filter in there (which I would remove). The flow is adjustable, up to 70gph, and would cascade to the water surface for agitation instead of blasting a current like a powerhead. I think two of these in a 10G nano would provide decent turnover, add the ability to occasionally filter the water and would look more clean than the golfball thingy - I love Eheim btw, and plan on playing with those powerheads too; may be just the ticket for my 30G.

Jeff

P.S.

I do some consulting work for Tetra (Whisper people) which is where I learned of this filter. I'm not shilling the product, just interested in the pros and cons of interior microfilters for my future nano. So far I plan to get a Minibow7 or a AGA 10 gallon when we move, but all other details of the tank are up in the air (except for the very cool float switch from California Reefs that I got a few weeks back). I want it to look as "clean" as possible, which is why I am considering these microfilters.

only problem with either of the 2 pumps shown is size. the goal(IMO) is to keep your tank as clean(uncluttered) as possible by having the whispers in there you take up alot of valuable room same thing goes for the eheim. god knows they make a killer pump but not realistic for a nano. try the minijets or microjets. same thing as a maxijet(best powerhead for the buck) and very small and compact.

Im drifting of the subject a little but I had planned on using HOB power filter for my current (plus a bak pakcpr1 ) that would seem like a good comprise fair water movment and just the lip in th tank or am I missing something?

Zac in Alaska

Archived