Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HOW long untill polyps in 10 gallon nano

killahbeez2000

killahbeez2000

hey guys and gals ive had my ten gallon tank setup for about a week now (just a sandbed, not live) i was wondering how long do i have to wait until i can put in some polyps like yellow ones or something easy to take care of (med-low light)?? thanx

harbingerofthefish

Okay I'll try this one.

You have

(just a sandbed, not live)
. Does this mean JUST sand and NO rock?

I'll answer as if this is the case.

scenario 1

You have not had a cycle yet. If you did put in the polyps now, and then added LR later, the impending cycle might and possibly will kill off the polyps. :x

scenario 2

You put the polyps in (on the bottom of course) and then you add LR dropping one and splat! X)

Scenario 3

You just need to slow down. Patience is a virtue. Since I have no idea what your set up is, I'll also assume your going 'au naturale' and using total biological filtration. Since your tank is only 1 week old, you have none. Short and simple...wait.

I know it's hard, but making the same $20 mistake over and over again is not good way to start.

As for me. My tank is 5 months old, and the first corals (zoos) were added 2 1/2 months in. Still probally too soon.

Orange Crush

I'm going to say this nicely, and consider yourself lucky, because I can think of several people right off the top of my head that...well...would not.

2 things:

SLOW DOWN

and

RESEARCH

Before you even started your tank, you should have found out a lot more about the biological processes that are going to take place, and the livestock you eventually want to keep, if for no other reason than to be sure you have the right equipment and don't waste your money. But, since that does not seem to be the case, here's my recommendations:

-on the slow down topic, from what it sounds like, you don't have any live sand or live rock, correct? If this is the case, you can expect your cycle to take at least a month. You don't want to add anything during this time. Anything at all. When you ammonia and nitrites (you know what these are, right?) are 0 (which they probably are now since you don't have anything in your tank, but that does not count), then you can consider s l o w l y adding livestock. But hopefully by then you'll have moved on to part two, and you'll know that

-on the research topic, stop posting for a few days. Get out a notebook. Start here: http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/. Read everything under the beginner's section. Write down everything you need to know, and everything you have questions about. Then go here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/search.php?s=. It's called the search page. You can reach it from within the forums by clicking on the search button. Not the one in your browser with the picture of the magnifying glass, but the one actually on the page. Search for answers to any of your questions. Do some more writing. Still confused? Buy a book. Write still more in your handy dandy notebook. You can search for threads (using the previously mentioned search button) on good books as well. There are many good ones in all price ranges.

Done your research? Used the search button thoroughly? Go ahead and ask away. I promise you'll get a much better response once you've researched your questions.

Please don't take this as a flame, but as good advice, both for you and the livelihood of your future charges. I've been there too. I know it's tempting to just jump right in. But would you have a kid without knowing how to change a diaper or what to feed it? Your tank is a big responsibility. Good luck and happy reading.

killahbeez2000

ive researched for abot 4 weeks now and pretty uch the only thing i wasnt sure of was if i sure add the rock i have limited funds thats why i dont have the live sand and what not. but i have noticed diatoms forming on the sand. well thanx anyway for the help ive kept frshwater for about 5 years now i have two 100 galon tanks with oscars and africans.

Orange Crush

Did not mean to cause offense. Just going with the information I had from reading your other posts. I am still confused re: whether you have live rock, thought before that you did not, but with diatoms at one week, am assuming that you do. With LR, LS is not really necessary, just adds to biodiversity. Eventually your sand will become "live" if you have LR in your tank.

Guess what I'm saying here is it is much easier to answer questions when given all the necessary info.

killahbeez2000

well i dont have any live rocl or live sand and i understand that it is going to take a long time and i am reading the articles now and takeing notes but from what i understand you can add liverock early so dentrifying bacteria will die off and it feeds the exsisting bacteria that causes the cycle to work but there is no ammonia to feed the rock. its all got me a bit confused really but i am very appriciative of the help and any other pointers would be greatful

harbingerofthefish

I guess the next step for you would be start adding LR. It is costly, and you can go a little at a time with it, it's just going to make the cycle go longer. Everytime you add more rock, depending on where it came from, you take the chance of die off. Thus, this will spike some kind of cycle. Your looking at probally adding (to start) 10-15 lbs or so. Start adding and then wait. During the time it takes for a tank to cycle is a great time to window shop and read up on the types of corals your intrested in.

side note: if you add in your LR and after a few days there is no noticable spike in anything, you can always add alittle bit of flake food to the tank to help kick it off.

1. Take it Slow. The faster you add to your tank, the faster things will die. The more you add at one time, the more money you will effectively flush down the proverbial toilet (along with the dead fish).

2. Read Rule 1.

3. Never talk about Fight Club.

4. Never Talk about Crakeur's Reef keeping tips.

5. Always tuck your shirt into your boxers when wearing a tuxedo or a suit, this will keep your shirt from getting that rumpled look.

6. If you are a righty, wear it on the left side. Why? Because it makes it easier to to reach in and grab it with the right hand. Most fools wear it on the same side as their "good" hand, which makes getting it out that much more of a chore. For those of you with tiny dancers (listening to Ben Fold's version of Tiny Dancer hehe), try stretching it down one side. This might actually help extend your friend a bit, thus making you seem more of a man than you really are.

7. Size does count, as does width. That b.s. that the women tell you about how it doesn't matter is purely a lie to make you feel better. Here's a clue. If you are grinding away, sweating, groaning, moaning and reaching new heights of ecstacy and she turns to you and says "is it in yet?" you have a small memeber and you have some serious issues. Call Howard Stern and see if you can't get hooked up with his penile implant doctor.

8. Don't be afraid to tell someone who is acting like a putz that he is acting like a putz. Even the largest, most muscle bound freak, when acting like a complete moron should be alerted to his behavior. Odds are, he won't even think of taking a swing at you because, let's face it, if you had the stones to tell some over sized meathead that he was a jackass, his pea brain will take that into consideration and it will trigger his defense system into thinking that you might actually be able to take him out.

9. When you are stuck in a situation where you might actually get the snot kicked out of you, more than one person or some knife wielding lunatic etc.. Act crazy. Start talking to yourself about who gets to fight first, who gets to eat which body part and who will be in charge of disposing the corpse. If this doesn't scare off the attackers, crap your pants and shout "WOOHOO Free Fudge!" This will chase away the most hardend of violent criminals.

Ok, I am done dispensing advice for now.

Orange Crush
Originally posted by Crakeur

7.  Size does count, as does width.  That b.s. that the women tell you about how it doesn't matter is purely a lie to make you feel better.

yep. 'strue. I'd like to know who told you that though, cause our number 3 rule is that is one of our most closely held secrets.

when you get married and you end up hanging out with your wife and all her friends, you learn a lot, often too much. Also, when your wife and all her friends are new mothers, you get to see way too many boobs.

For the women out there, I have, for the past three years, been offering coaching advice in how to deal with the neanderthals of the world (read men). I have successfully married off two of my wife's best friends. Not to friends of mine but just guys they were dating. I used to ask for sex as my payment but my wife won't allow that anymore so I now take 10% of the cost of the ring and 10% of the cost of the honeymoon. I have also made deals with the parents of the bride in which, when a child is born, I receive a hefty bounty. So far, I have not yet collected on this, although I am due approximately $10,000 from one set of happy grandparents.

I thought this was a General Nano Reef Discussion forum.:angry:

j/k ;)

Anyways, killahbeez2000

back to your thread...without any fish, live or seeded sand or live rock, it is going to be ALMOST impossible. I would recommend getting someone here that would not mind sending you a few pounds of live rock or live sand to help you out.

Or tryus theus sponsorus, look up X)

killahbeez2000

thanx for all your guys help i think im gonna take a long trip friday down to lansing michigan and get some live rock to add slowly

An old trick that works to start a cycle in a new tank is to buy a dead shrimp, either from the supermarket or from the bait shop. Bury it just under the sand and start testing your ammonia twice daily. When you see a spike in it, remove the nasty decomposing shrimp and just wait. If you can't afford live rock or live sand, this is a cost effective solution. JMHO

harbingerofthefish

"Is there such a thing as way to many boobs?.... "

are we talking too many as in shear volume or to many as in too much, like enough to knock out a rhino?

" and get some live rock to add slowly."

If you do come up with some rock from your trip, put it in all at once. You'll save some of the life, and if your paying the price for LR do your best to keep it live.

Archived