Cultivated Reef

PSL Splash Guard?

chvynva916

I havn't gotten a reply from them yet and I can't find it on any search.

1-Do Pet Supply Liquidator pc hoods come with a splash guard (or can I order one)?

2-Can I add legs to a 23" 2x55w hood to attach it to a 10 aga tank? Where can I get the legs?

Any one with any knowledge of PSL hoods please help!

why put 23" worth of hood over 20" of tank? you like the mushroom tank look? is it the total bulb wattage you're interested in?

why not order a custom hood from them folks at PSL. tell them

"i want you to put 3x36w PC in one of your 'ultra reef light' aluminum shells and make the whole thing 20" long."

if you want the splash gaurd, they do supply a "thick lexon shield" on their standard ultra-reef-light systems but you can always go to a glass supply or hardware store and get a piece of glass cut.

i remember chris-marks posting a picture of a PSL hood that had legs. i think they were a special request for whoever ordered it, but i guess it's possible

I didn't know I could custom order that size. I just want 55wx2 over my 10g. I wish I could call them, do you know if they have a number? I can't find it on their web page.

Christopher Marks

Their only contact is by email. They do offer legs for hoods when you ask for them, and both sizes of their hoods have acrylic splash gaurds.

IMO, I'd do a 3x36w 20" hood for a 10 gallon, or just 2x36w.

My PSL hood has a splash guard.. but you're not going to fit a 55W bulb in a 20" hood.. they barely fit in my custom 24" hood...

Just as a note.. they use the european, four straight pin, compact bulbs..

I'm pretty sure that PSL is only run by 1 guy, so things go pretty slowly.

I ordered one of there 2x36 solar lights, and it came with some type of plastic shield....I'm not sure what it's made out of though.

The hood he sent was the wrong one, so I emailed him a few weeks ago about it, and it took him at least 24 hours to respond back. He was nice about the situation and offered to have a replacement hood sent out to me for free & have the UPS guy pick up the other hood. I of course accepted, but then he stopped replying to my emails.

I sent him another email a few days ago and he finally did get back to me saying that he is sorry about not replying and that he has been in Hawaii on business and won't get back to me until Tuesday maybe. :*(

Sounds familiar.. Bruce is a nice guy but I also had some order snafus.. wrong hood and wrong bulbs... returned hood and bulbs.. received the right hood and still the wrong bulbs.. the quality of the hood is good, no doubt about it.. but you've gotta be on top of your order...

Originally posted by Xavier

Just as a note.. they use the european, four straight pin, compact bulbs..

XAVIER! ...lol.:D (you're going to make me crazy)

clarification: last night in the nano-reef chat i was teasing Xavier about his bulbs. sorry folks.

<<< adinsxq chuckles

So is the consensus that I'm wasting money for a 24" hood since it hangs over that much?

Should I go for the 2x36 or try for the 3x36w 20" hood?

On a different note, I purchased a torch coral and a pumping xenia from the Hidden Reef in Philly. Corals there are cheap and beautiful. The staff was helpful and the place looked as if they cared for their stuff well. Just a plug if anyone's from the philly area.

Archived