inTank Media Baskets

Daytime nano photos

audiocontrol

Here are some current various pictures of the many corals I have collected in my mixed reef over the past year...I tried to place every coral just so (relating to current requirements and the overall balanced visual integrity of the reef)...

2nd colony of GSPpost-10445-1131894067_thumb.jpg

Pocilliporapost-10445-1131894081_thumb.jpg

Blue Ridge Coralpost-10445-1131894100_thumb.jpg

Green Brain??post-10445-1131894119_thumb.jpg

A bivalve or something??post-10445-1131894697_thumb.jpg

SPS overshadows a path of zoas leading to a cavepost-10445-1131894793_thumb.jpg

A full tank picture post-10445-1131895403_thumb.jpg

Looking great! I'm guessing you have a bigger tank or at least planning one with the clam, plate corals etc?

Really love the GSP, beautiful colours on that piece.

Ben

that is a Tridacnid Clam....why does he need a bigger tank...it could be a Crocea clam....which only groes to like 6" ....and where is a plate coral???

thanks everyone...yeah, the store had the clam listed as a crocea clam. As far as a bigger tank, eventually, maybe in a year or so, i hope to get one of those oceanic cubes

here is the tip of a digitata that broke off, so i stuck it in a rock about a month ago. Uh oh, looks like it is growing into another colony?post-10445-1131990179_thumb.jpg

This is the green favia, with the peach zoas to the left post-10445-1131990322_thumb.jpg

OMG, where to start?!? post-10445-1131990419_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me what kind of coral this is? post-10445-1131990568_thumb.jpg

Hey, whats goin on over here?? post-10445-1131990712_thumb.jpg

A washed out pic of my light green acropora post-10445-1131990830_thumb.jpg

These are probably my fav. zoas, which I think are fairly rare. They are a pain to get a good pic of, as they are in a horrible location for photos. I haven't seen others like these before...let me know if you have any, or have seen them before. They have an orange skirt, periwinkle/blue body, and green centers. Unless they are those fire n' ice zoas? post-10445-1131991127_thumb.jpg

MixItUp post-10445-1131991268_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me what kind of coral this is? post-10445-1131990568_thumb.jpg

It looks like a Pineapple Closed Brain Coral to me (Favites spp.) Nice piece.

I love the tank, very nice. What kind of light do you have over it? I've been itching for a MH setup which it looks like yours is!

yea, it was named as a "brain coral" but it just did not look like the others I have. He is a very slow grower...thanks for the input! Yea, it is a metal halide, a 150 watt with the 14k pheonix bulb on it. You wont regret getting the halide, for the most part all of my corals have taken off. Ones that havent, just look great under the light and are healthy. I guess they are slow growers by nature (favites, acropora, hydnopora...etc)

I'm going to be honest with you. This is now one of my favorite tanks. Why? Becasue your tank looks natural...everything has grown in and has been placed perfectly...great job. It is nice to see a tank that does not look like it had 30 frags thrown in a week ago.

LOL, that settles it Audioslave, I'm going to get a MH setup on my NC and sell the hood (hopefully pay for the MH)

Could you post a pic of the tank?

Also, what sort of heat issues have you experienced, and what precautions have you taken?

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

hehe, thanks p.o.t.u.s! It just takes lots of patience and planning. The best part is....I am not having trouble with any corals in the tank as far as dieoff and whatnot. So it is actually a pleisure to watch and not worry about "if this coral is getting worse or not". Only the favia had some dieoff, but it was like that from the LFS, slowly it is growing back over the skeleton, but GOD it is slow. You can see this in the pic where I said "what kind of coral is this?"

Heat issues...I dont have heat issues, but I used to before I balanced out everything as far as heater, the hight of the lamp, fan angle, and the vent size on the lid. Also, the ballast on my light is internal, suspended over the tank which adds to bulb heat. So, I bought a little $12 "lasko" rotary "pillar-style" fan and mounted it on my wall. it is kinda noisy, but perhaps a lamp with an external ballast or a higher quality fan would be a better bet for heat and noise. My tank is about 81.2 degrees in the winter, and hits about 82.6 in the summer. Temps will fall down to about 80 at night.

I made a custom splashguard out of plexiglass to help balance out heat. It is open in the front so the heat is not trapped in the tank (made a piece of plexiglass splashguard once and did not make a vent....in 1 day, the tank hit 90 degrees and killed my xenia, gorgonian, and birdsnest frags) These were the only casualties in my tank, and it was all my fault)

I would never go back to PC's. They just do not have the piercing intensity of halides. Sure, one can look at a 96 watt PC bulb, but dont even try it on a 70watt halide bulb.

Note:::It does take time to tweak the temperature of the tank, but once you balance out any heat issues, it is well worth the patience. Oh yea, I go through about 1 gallon of evaporation every 3 days or so...not too bad. I use glacier water.

I would like to get the reefkeeper, so that the fan will turn on if it becomes to hot, and the heater will turn on if it becomes to cold. right now, the fan is on a timer to come on with the halide lamp and off with.

This was my first halide purchase, and I would never go back. It does take time to tweak the temperature of the tank, but one you balance out any heat issues, it is well worth it. Oh yea, I go through about 1 gallon of evaporation every 3 days or so...not too bad.

oh yes, the reef has been skimmerless for the past year with all those corals, a fish, crabs, and snails...... I only do weekly 1 gallon water changes. However, I ordered the little fusion skimmer. I plan to only run it at night for a few hours and thats it.

ok, here is another tank shot from my doorway with the new corals and clams added.post-10445-1132066469_thumb.jpg

And I still cannot believe the progession of this tank. This is a 2 month difference in photos...

August 10th...post-10445-1132066633_thumb.jpg

And today the 15...post-10445-1132066801_thumb.jpg

I ordered an AquaMedic 150 with 20k bulb last night from nanocustoms. I'm siked to get it going.

How much evap are you seeing with the splash guard I'm guessing you created. I'm still deciding whether I want to make one or just leave the top open. Part of my goal of getting this MH is to be able to leave my remora on 24/7 so I'd need a little larger of a hole cut in the back.

BTW: Tank looks incredible

thanks :) Well, with the lid, it is about a gallon every 3 days. Without the top, it is about half a gallon a day, lol. But, my room is usually hotter than most...about 80 in the summer. Unless it does not bother you filling up the tank frequently...and you have an adequate supply of water...then by all means go topless (no pun intended)lol. You just do not want to seal the lid onto the tank with no vents. It will cook like an oven.

I was about one click away from adding a Titan 150 chiller to my order last night, but decided enough is enough with this 12gal. I'll see what the temps do before buying it. I'd like to pick up a reefkeeper also, but I'll be upgrading the tank before doing that.

I think the temps will be alright in the tank with the open top, I have an RO/DI unit so making the water isn't an issue. My ambient stays between 66 and 70, I have a 92w PC hood with 13w refugium and ICA that runs slightly above what the heater is set (77.2)

Oh you will be fine. You do not need a chiller. You arent running a 150gal with dual 400 halides and actinic supplements in a bedroom, hehehe. Like i said, even if your temp goes up to 81....not a problem. I have no trouble teetering in that temperature range. If you run open top, you may not even need a fan. I have it set in the manner which best fits for me...a balance between temperature and evaporation.

• 3 weeks later...
ok, here is another tank shot from my doorway with the new corals and clams added.post-10445-1132066469_thumb.jpg

And I still cannot believe the progession of this tank. This is a 2 month difference in photos...

August 10th...post-10445-1132066633_thumb.jpg

And today the 15...post-10445-1132066801_thumb.jpg

nice tank. i like it...

pls give me specs, cuz im planning to have one.

thanks a lot

Archived