Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ODYSSEA skimmer review

Raskal311

Well I bought a used Pro Pack odyssea skimmer from a friend and have to say its a dam good skimmer. For $50 new its the best bang for your buck I've seen on a skimmer yet.

This is the cup after about 30min of use on my new QT tank. Its not even set to skim wet yet.

63da6342.jpg

Tones of bubbles, not bad for a cheap Chinese cop of the CPR.

DSC01684.jpg

Here is the qt I decided to resetup today. I took it down just before I went on vacation a few months ago and finally got around to setting it back up.

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

DSC01688.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Ive seen those Odyssea skimmers. basically a bak-pak clone.

I have the Odyssea PS 75 for about a year.

First used it on a 20H as a HOB. That worked but had to pay attention to evap.

Now its in the sump of my 40B. works like a champ.

Just did a mesh mod, and added a airline muffler.

Wont find a better skimmer for $50, new or used.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about buying the PS 75 for an in-sump application. Been doing a lot of reading and searching about this skimmer.

It seams to me most people with the HOB setups usually complain because the skimmer is hard to control due to tank evaporation. The water level in the tank goes down and then the skimmer won't skim. So the user ends up adjusting the skimmer all the time or keeping REALLY busy doing top offs. Keep in mind most people using a HOB skimmer don't have a sump or an auto top off, so they are going to battle evaporation in the tank. Thats what is leading to poor reports from users. It's difficult to get ANY skimmer dialed in if the water level is constantly fluctuating.

On the other hand, almost every report I found where the skimmer was used in a sump -- the user was very happy. I can't help but conclude this is because the water level in the skimmer compartment is always at a constant level. You adjust the height once using ceramic tiles or some other suitable stand. Dial it in. Then forget about any further height adjustments.

Some have done minor mods to improve efficiency. One guy said the stock pump was too powerful and this caused the bubbles to rise too fast in the chamber. No dwell time. Makes sense to me. He explained how he had made some sort of tube to cross the chamber with a V-notch in the outlet side and it caused a vortex swirl inside the skimmer. He was very happy with the results. Another said he also thought the stock pump was too powerful and he was looking for a drop-in needle wheel replacement. I don't believe he ever found one as that thread died back in late 2008.

It occurred to me maybe you could slice small gashes or serrations in the edges of the pump impeller. This would help to chop up the incoming air and thereby create more bubbles. It would also decrease the efficiency of the impeller and slow down the water. Most pump impellers are plastic. Can't be that hard to use the back edge of a hot butter knife (or other hot metal slicing object - thin screwdriver) to cut alternating teeth in a pump wheel. I'll bet just a 1/16" deep cut about 1/32" wide into a plastic impeller would achieve darn near the same effects as a needle wheel. Do it symmetrically around the impeller on all the blades. Redneck needle wheel.

I'm ordering mine next week. It will be in a 10x8 sump 10" water depth. I'll adjust it and dial it in first and give it a week or so to break in. But I know I'll be making mods to if within the first 2 weeks. I know there is a LOT of interest in this skimmer. If it works even halfway decent for the $30 + shipping - that's gonna be the best kept secret in reefing!!

Expect a full report in a month. Subscribed.

It occurred to me maybe you could slice small gashes or serrations in the edges of the pump impeller. This would help to chop up the incoming air and thereby create more bubbles. It would also decrease the efficiency of the impeller and slow down the water. Most pump impellers are plastic. Can't be that hard to use the back edge of a hot butter knife (or other hot metal slicing object - thin screwdriver) to cut alternating teeth in a pump wheel. I'll bet just a 1/16" deep cut about 1/32" wide into a plastic impeller would achieve darn near the same effects as a needle wheel. Do it symmetrically around the impeller on all the blades. Redneck needle wheel.

just meshmod the impeller. proven to do what your thinking, easy to do, and cheap.

any mods to the impeller, if you screw up, can throw the balance out of whack.

just meshmod the impeller. proven to do what your thinking, easy to do, and cheap.

any mods to the impeller, if you screw up, can throw the balance out of whack.

Okay, I need a MeshMod for Dummies tutorial. :huh:

Can you tell me what materials I need, where to get them, how to do the mod and how to adjust it?

Thanks

oh i was looking for the answer to the problem...I have a few of these. One works like a champ, very dry but dark foam, couldn't ask for more. The other two have too much water, and the last one has a broken pump.

• 5 weeks later...

I have one of these and I hate it. Its a HOB for the time being but it came with the tank I bought and it was working ok. I gave it a good cleaning and now it is a very wet skimmer and it is producing thousands of micro bubbles in the tank.

Archived