SaltCritters.com

the plan so far

redline

Well, my dad was nice enough to build me a stand and canopy for my birthday, and it should be done within the next week. It's all coming together but i have a few more questions before i go out drop half a student loan on the rest of the hardware.

What I have:

-20H standard glass aquarium

-10 gal stardard glass sump

-prism skimmer

-tronic 100w heater

-azoo 13w 7200k pc clip on light for the fuge

What I think I need to do/aquire

-2x55w hamilton pc retrofit kit

-mag 5 or 7 pump for the return in the sump... not sure which one

-two maxijet 600's for the main tank for movement

-20lbs caribsea aragalive

-substrate for the sump which i figure i'll design similar to this thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=6644

-make a corner overflow box and take down the 20 to the local glass shop and have them drill a 1 1/4 hole near the top. that way i can attach a 1" flexy hose to the sump and a 3/4" return

-reef testing kit

-hydrometer

-pvc piping to link the whole thing together

-instant ocean salt mix

-aquarium safe silicon to attach the overflow box

So... what does everyone think? Are the pumps too weak/too powerful? Have I missed the bus completely?

sounds like a thorough plan to me! i had a 20H reef drilled n all. i used a magdrive 250 and that thing put some boils on the surface! i loved it though-and in fact teed it off to my skimmer and still had enough flow-i too ran a couple maxijet phs in the tank and it worked beautifully! did you see the thread about the holy grail of nano wavemakers-might be a sweet option! (and the fewer phs you have in the tank the better!) i'd recommend a 250 or 350 maybe run through one of those "squids"-thus splitting the return line (i like the marineland canister filter return assemblies-small and moveable in case your plans change-cuz remember undrilling glass is a major PITA :D). (careful about having return lines drilled or submersed more than an inch or so because of the back siphon issues) finally maybe one ph under the overflow box behind the rock where its easily hidden-blowing across the back length of the tank. the 2x55W retro would be awesome on that tank and give you alot of options. silicone should work well for mounting the overflow box. gl! HTH!

~TG

Archived