Innovative Marine Aquariums

ich?

Sea_Of_Treachery

Sea_Of_Treachery

my tomato clow has been in my tank for a little over a month, and has been perfectly healthy. Just today i nothed some small white spots forming on his head, and fins. there are about 4 or 5 spots. Is it ich? i have a wrasse and a gramma and they have none and are perfectly fine. evey fish i treated medicine with has died and i don't what to do that again. What should i do? ive fed him flaks for the past monh, should i feed some frozen mysis?

Have you tested your water recently? How's it look?

pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH?

I'd say the flake diet just isn't cutting it as far as full nutrition. Flakes are just fish meal, usually, and not all that wonderful as a staple food. A good supplement, yes. I'd definitly get some mysis, it's a wonderful food. Maybe try some other 'mix' frozen goods, like Formula One, Formula Two, Prime Reef, or other marine mix.

usually a few extra water changes and a boosted diet is all you need. Keep the temperature regulated as well. Fluctuations can cause stress and disease. I like to boost the temp up to 80 to help speed up the lifecycle of the parasite so it drops off the fish faster. You'll still want to do water changes regardless. Depending on your water test, you may want to do 25-50%.

GL

If it just appeared, it may just be sand adhered to it's slime coat.

:huh:

maybe.

i have always had good luck with mysis soaked in some kents garlic extreme. THe parasite doesnt like garlic and there are conflicting talks of garlic raising the immune system. Im sure if you start doing this it will go away. Mine always does. Keeps the fish happy and healthy too. just dont breathe when using it. It STINKS.

I agree with the cleaner shrimp comment! They are great for your tank and fish. Is the clown scraping its body against the rocks? that is a sign for ich even before it can be seen. They glance their bodies on the rocks almost like scraping or scratching at the parasite.

But what I would do is by a CS and leave the fish in the tank, he is already stressed out, try and treat it the natural way first.

My friend has a 250g reef and 3 tangs he has 3 cleaners and has never had anyporbly with ich (he alos has other fish)

I also have a cleaner and have never got ich on my fih.

I say get a cleaner they are worth the 17-20 bucks

not all fish come from areas where cleaner shrimp exisit. I've seen cleaner srhimp harass really infested fish, to the point where i had to remove the shrimp. Some neon govies will pick at the fish incessantly as well.

as always, it all depends on the fish and the shrimp's dispostition.

I'd personally rather know im maintaining my tanks well enought hat i wouldnt need to have a cleaner shrimp. but thats just me.

Sea_Of_Treachery

haha yea it tured out to be just little specks of sand on its fins. never had ich, thank god for that. and yea, my cleaner cleans my fish all the time.

Archived