Cultivated Reef

CHECK IN THREADS!

Gilman

Please see new stickied threads and post in them if you are participating. If you have questions about checking in, post them in this thread, not in the check in threads. Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btf and i (and maybe one other person?) had questions about the application of air pumps being [CUSTOM] not [sTOCK] qualified. our simplified setups require air pumps as they are our sole method of water movement.

these changes (to [CUSTOM]) were never addressed definitively, i.e. our threads still read [sTOCK]. if our use of air pumps forces us into [CUSTOM] i believe we (btf & i) accept that. but a mod will have to alter our threads to say such as we cannot edit them ourselves.

just requesting a clarification/edit before i/btf post in the wrong thread and confuse people.

Blind Tree Frog

Pretty much.

So does this mean that, assuming that the current comment about air pumps stands, I can't jump into STOCK in a week if I decide to switch pumps? (As nothing has been added to my tank as of yet)

Why didnt you airpump officianados ask about using these things in stock!! I would have preferred to have held a vote, and now I've gone and herassed Roach about using one for his diver dan pico when he mentioned using one.

On one hand, I see how it could be totally seen as custom.

On the other hand (and the way I honestly see it) using an air pump is quite possibly MORE stock than using an hob or ph.

You suck at asking about rules. I suck at making them. Noted.

Why didnt you airpump officianados ask about using these things in stock!!
we did.

at least, btf did. a couple times, i believe.

Blind Tree Frog
Why didnt you airpump officianados ask about using these things in stock!!

*cough*

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=633390

Which doesn't say anything about either cat really, but the following post:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=633397

Did mention the stock category

Which you then replied to with this post

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=639149

Which said no air pumps in stock pushing the two of us into the custom category which was contested by me in this post:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=639215 (though i figured it wouldn't do anything honestly, I just wanted to voice a complaint)

and then a request was made by tiny reef and myslef that he and others as appropriate be moved to custom here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=639321

and here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=639360

:P

(sorry, I'm bored this saturday and sicne I can't drive around to set up my tank as both of my vehicles are in the shop, I'm stuck reading up here about my tank. Not really trying to be a smart ass, but it seemed a good set up for it. Take it in good humor as it's intended)

The only real complaint I might have about being in Custom is that my tank was moved over 2 days ago, so a tank that was getting set up for STOCK was then bumped to CUSTOM and it seems as though this would mean I've got 2 days to make any changes to my tank now that I'm covered under different rules. It's more of a frustration then anything else though as I was thinking about changes that i might want to make and couldn't think of any really. I'm still wondering if a Sump/Refuge might be advantageous though and I'd have to drain the tank if I want to make such a change.

You suck at asking about rules. I suck at making them. Noted.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but yes you do. :P

But I say this because the rules were very vague, which I felt was a good thing and left a lot of options, but as the rules were questioned, the rules started changing. For example, the rules thread says nothing about False walls being dis-allowed in the custom category, in fact, I'd read it as they would be allowed. This was changed in the Question thread, however. So it's somewhat difficult to keep track of what is and is not allowed.

As I said in another thread I believe, I feel that part of the fun of competitions is to bend the rules as much as possible to try and get as much of an advantage as possible. Breaking the rules is right out, but bending the rules and making good reason for the rules to change next time is part of the fun. The rules as they were written in the original thread were great for this. The question thread took away part of the fun though I think.

either way though, this should be a fun time. Thanks for putting up with the stress that this is going to cause you :D

[bASIC] ??

[ADVANCED]!! :happydance:

ok, btf, you and i are now in [bASIC].

so how do you like your whup-ass? medium or well-done? :lol:

Blind Tree Frog

mm, on the up side, i only have 1 other person to compete against, so i'm gaurunteed at least second

On the down side, there are no prizes associated with that category.

mm, on the up side, i only have 1 other person to compete against, so i'm gaurunteed at least second

On the down side, there are no prizes associated with that category.

shorgy pinup calendar? :naughtydance:

and those poor girls just got hacked too. :( they need someone to hold them.

:naughtydance:

Blind Tree Frog

BTW, Tiny and I do kind of need a reply before you go through and delete all of the threads that aren't declared in the Check In threads.

Not to add any pressure or anything :P Just poking you since there is a bit of a deadline and I'm not sure when you plan on pruning.

pruning in 10 minutes... tick tock tick tock...

jk.

How about this. I'll start a vote thread asking if airpumps should be allowed in stock category. We know you're playing, and you have pics of your tanks so it would just be a couple days of not knowing which category you're in.

Either way, Roach should totally have to use his kid as a diver dan bubble source.

Lemme know if you guys think thats cool.

Blind Tree Frog

I'm fine with that, though that means my lighting set up will be pushed off longer (probably won't be set up until I get my car back anyhow) since I may go for more then the 18W limit if i'm in custom.

BTW, as it has come to my attention that I may have a leak in my tank, I have two questions for you:

1) If there is a leak, may I switch tanks?

2) I'm having some issues with sand getting into the air lift, am I alllowed to pull the sand out and go bare bottom after today if i decide that's the best way to fix it?

How about this. I'll start a vote thread asking if airpumps should be allowed in stock category. We know you're playing, and you have pics of your tanks so it would just be a couple days of not knowing which category you're in.

Either way, Roach should totally have to use his kid as a diver dan bubble source.

Lemme know if you guys think thats cool.

sure, if i can borrow the kid as a wavemaker. and it's not the sitting end making the bubbles.

btw, i think this check-in may catch some people off-guard since not everyone checks in everyday (like me).

they have other interests for some odd reason. weirdos.

I'll start a vote thread asking if airpumps should be allowed in stock category.

Let there be bubbles I say! :D

I was wondering if there is a timeline somewhere of all the stages of the contest.

btw, i think this check-in may catch some people off-guard since not everyone checks in everyday (like me).

Gunna keep the thread open for a few days at least. Not gunna go erasing entry threads tonight or anything.

:)

I was wondering if there is a timeline somewhere of all the stages of the contest.

Somewhere around here I think...I'll get back to you on that.

And my progeny and I will rule stock category with an iron fist! The cries from the proles are like the buzzing of flies unto me!

No extensions! End it NOW!

I WIN stock :P

BTF WINS custom :P

tiny wins my kid to power the aqualift/wavemaker :P ( FYI - have to put a drop or 2 of selcon in her spagettios to get her to eat. All sales final, no refunds on livestock of any kind)

Sheesh, talk about a short-notice thread....

I can get my Custom FTS in, but haven't taken one of the Stock one yet. Ah well...

Either way, it doesn't say anything about having a fully setup pic in the rules thread. It only says an entry pic is required to join the contest, and entry ends Nov. 5th. Clear rules ftw!

It does look like a lot of people are missing... I'd be in favor of an extension... give 'em a week.

...plus, I don't wanna hear no "I woulda beat you if I checked in" song and dance from tigha and the like....

;)

Archived