Coral Vue Hydros

Photograph Opinions?

Travis

Hey guys, I have two pictures I'd like to get some oppinions on.

I am realativly new to photography, but I think I have a nack for it :D

I used a Nikon COOLPIX 7600

Butterfly-Travis-Savant-2005.jpg

and

Butterfly2-Travis-Savant-2005.jpg

What do you think?

Good start. Now some friendly constructive criticism…

The saturation and contrast need to be adjusted. The color depth is too shallow i.e., no real black tone, no depth of hue…it looks like the pictures have a film over them that needs to be wiped away. For example on the first picture, the dark area below the green leaves on the right should have a darker value…likewise for the leading edge of the butterfly’s wing. The flower’s tone also seems to be a bit low...but this is all subjective so please don’t take it personally.

I’d also recommend changing how you focus…IMO, when you are taking macro shots, they tend to look their best if only one thing is in focus or everything is in focus. I think you should have either narrowed the subject fields or widened them.

In terms of composition, good start. I’d suggest the advice my photo teacher gave me…the corner rule. Pictures, he said, are much more interesting if no more than two corners of the picture are the same. So if one corner is dark, another should be light, if one is rough, another should not be…it creates a more interesting composition. This is certainly not a hard and fast rule…my teacher was a student of Ansel Adams and a lot of Adams’ pictures certainly have similar corners…so he said to take the corners rule more as a way of ensuring that your pictures are compositionally interesting and that you pay attention to how you frame the subject, not just what your subject is.

Great start and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

i agree with potus....i was thinking many of the same things although i am very new to digital photography, i have taken many classes with film and done my own processing. excellent shots, they can only get better with practice. i really think the edited image is far better than the others, good job

Archived