inTank Media Baskets

Tulip Anemones

philcarp

So, I've been seeing this listing on E-bay for quite some time now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Coral-Mini-Pink-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's for something called a tulip anemone. I've done a little research and I'm confused. Some places are saying that it's actually a majano anemone and that they can be almost as bad as the dreaded aiptasia (sp?) anemones. Other places are saying that as long as water params are kept in check then it should be no problem.

I was just wondering because it actually looks rather cute... and I don't have the necessary lighting for a "real" anemone... but I don't want to get something that's going to become a nuisance a few months down the line.

Thanks,

Phil

They ARE MAJONOS very bad if you have a fish onley and are going to keep it that way go ahead but if not stay away.

Cool. Thanks for letting me know. Right now I just have a FOWLR tank; but when I get my new lighting upgrade, I'm going to turn it into a softy reef.

So, no tulip/majonos for me! :D

Thanks again,

Phil

Cool. Thanks for letting me know. Right now I just have a FOWLR tank; but when I get my new lighting upgrade, I'm going to turn it into a softy reef.

So, no tulip/majonos for me! :D

Thanks again,

Phil

so these tulips are bad for muli tank? i have saw these same ones on ebay also, good with corals and fish or not?thanx candice

They're just majanos--they act exactly like Aiptasia. If you ever hope to keep corals or other benthic invertebrates, do not get even one. They will reproduce more than you think--they hide within the rocks (and they do "walk", usually at night). They wreak havoc on corals, just like the larger anemones do--their fave is sitting next to a coral, or on top of it, and stinging it to death.

Some guy was selling them on e-bay and i got one. he should be ashamed of himself this a quote from his ad :

"This Anemone won't bother or sting any corals or fish like Aiptasia. Will split if conditions are right and well fed. Looks great in the reef aquarium.

No spot feeding nessesary. Will feed on the same food you feed your fish"

I actually have had one in my tank now for a couple months that recently split. They don't do much of anything. They don't move or sting any corals. I do have them a bit away from everything else just in case they decide to move a bit. I know people think that they act just like Aiptasia but mine don't. In fact they sway a bit but aren't really active. They don't reach for food or retract into a crack like Aiptasia will if you touch it. I suppose if I wanted to kill them if they became a pest I could very easily. My sexies like them too. :)

They are majanos.... but a variety that is nowhere near as invasive as something like aiptasia, don't panic or feel the need to toss it if you bought one. I know several people that have them and they are fine, they did not run amuck in those tanks and kill corals. Will it sting a coral? ... sure, don't put it right next to one. Will it walk around? yep, and so will any anemone if it's not happy where it is, keep an eye on it.

True, you should look into livestock more before you buy, but we have all made a mistake like that at least once (or maybe ten times) I would bet. You should be just fine if you bought one from that e-bay seller.

True, not as bad as Aiptasia; but they will still reproduce somewhat quickly, and they'll sting corals. I had one that sat for a couple of months doing nothing; then one day I discovered his twin brother behind him. THe next day his twin was smack in the center of a pink protopalythoa colony, stinging the living bejeezus out of them. The brown ones are especially noxious...The green ones, it seems, not so much. But they WILL sting corals, and do enjoy sitting in the centers of colonies, or directly next to them.

• 2 weeks later...
the_human_myth
True, not as bad as Aiptasia; but they will still reproduce somewhat quickly, and they'll sting corals. I had one that sat for a couple of months doing nothing; then one day I discovered his twin brother behind him. THe next day his twin was smack in the center of a pink protopalythoa colony, stinging the living bejeezus out of them. The brown ones are especially noxious...The green ones, it seems, not so much. But they WILL sting corals, and do enjoy sitting in the centers of colonies, or directly next to them.

So just how big do these guys get? I just now saw this e-bay add and was thinking how neat it might be to have one. I have the Coralife 50/50 light:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...0&N=2004+113346

Would it be adequate? Do these need to be spot feed meaty morsels or is a liquid food in a bottle like Kent Microvert ok for these?

The Shedd in Chicago has 2 large for home small for Shedd tanks literally CARPETED with them. It was cool, pink and orange and yellow, very sea mat looking, but like other people are getting at there was very little else in either tank.I would say there wernt any larget than the average thumb, most closer to severed pinky size.

I have several of them and I think they are cool..., its just the type of thing that matters how much maintainance you are willing to do..., I kill them If they get to close to stuff and the others keep multiplying..., I have also seen tanks where they get out of control but I think thats just from letting things go on for too long

Your link isn't working; what's the wattage of the bulb and size of the tank? Generally, it's probably fine; they can do fine under most any conditions.

I agree I think they do well in just about any system I can think of..., Ive seen them curing sumps for live rock at the LFS that didnt really have any light and there was a ton of them in there

Plus I wouldnt buy one @ ebay..., Id check w/ some local reefers and get it for free

• 3 years later...

A fellow reefer says she is breaking down her tank because after a few years, they just exploded in her tank... Every day she would change a filter sock and see about five babies in there.

She had a guy tell her that they are friendly. But like C7 said, they end up sitting on colonies and stinging them, even if they are not as volatile as aptasia.

in a tank with sps non-aggressive organisms they would sound nice, but it's my thought that if you wanted to keep them for a while, they would need to be in a tank devoted to them, knowing that they my kill any corals that might go in there.

seriously. A tulip nem tank would be INSANE.

I needed some more into on tulip nems Kraylen.. This is what google gave me.

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem is when they crawl behind the rocks where you don't see them, and reproduce there. Just like Aiptasia. Don't buy them, certainly--why PAY someone for something that came in for free?--and I really strongly recommend that nobody ADD them to their reefs because of all the inherent problems. Ever put a rose bubble in a reef? Puh-ROBLEMS! Same thing but tinier.

But a Majano-only tank would be neat. You could have them with an octo or a mantis stomatopod or something. That'd be cool. Any tank with moderate light and no corals would be neat. A single PC bulb ought to be enough for them...They're very hardy.

Um, yeah.... Post an alternate theory, then. How long have you been reefing? 10 years saltwater, 8 years reef, 6 years in the LFS industry. But what do I know? I wasn't here years ago posting crap all day about reef stuff.... Oh, wait...

Archived