Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Power Filter Fuge?

C Jerome

I just got a new aquairum catalogue yesterday and was thumbing throught it and saw these Millennium power filters that look to be a light smoke color, they have the one with two media compartments(one on either side of the center intake). So what i was wondering is if any one has set a power filter like this up as a fuge? Like one side fuge the other for carbon or heater or some thing like that. Do you thing that it would work, or not really? Thanks for your input

C. Jerome

bump

can those milleniums' flow be throttled back like the aquaclears and emperors? you'll need to lower the flow-thru to really do a fuge. you may be able to crop some of the impeller blades to lower flow but i'd be afraid it wouldn't be able to prime itself anymore. otherwise it sounds good. there's a couple of old threads discussing the cheap-hob fuge option.

technoshaman

I have heard of people using emperor type filters and growing a mangrove in the filter box and ditching the biowheel. I was thinking about doing something similar with a small aquaclear - if you take the lid off you should have snough space to grow something small but the flow on them is pretty beefy in the return chamber. I have no doubt with a small amount of tinkering you could come up with a nice filter/fuge or just a fuge or just use the filter for water movement and grow a larger vascular type plant (mangroves or seagrass). The one downside is it seems like on a nano you might run out of space for the root system fairly quick on the mangrove if it took hold.

The one that i saw in the catalogue looked good, and it does not have a biowheel, so that is good. But i looked like it was plenty big and the had a flow control. How much flow do you want(GPH, or an aprox. guess like do you want it really slow/low) going through a fuge?

Archived