Pod Your Reef

Hurt wrasse, need help on what to do, what meds etc...

gjones

I have a 4-Line Wrasse, I got her 2 days ago and she eats well, and is nice and plump. She activley hunts for food, and is constasntly eating things (pods, bugs, worms, etc...) off the rock, glass, and sand. Today I saw that she has two wounds near her tail, possably caused by a crab (I have 1 tiny emerald, and 3 scarlet reef hermits). She still ate, and acts normal, but I need to know what to do, because I know the risk on infection is probably huge. Should I medicate, and if I should what should I use? Please help me!

what size tank is it in? if it's a small tank, when the fish sleeps it might be getting nibbled on by your mainly nocturnal scavengers, the crabs. most all wrasses, including parrotfish, will make a 'bed' near the sand and in some rocks. if they are resting, the crabs may be able to sneak up on the usually alert fish and take a portion of the tail of other fin.

if that's the case, you might want to house your wrasse in a larger tank, move the crabs, or add more or change up the rock work.

otherwise, what other fish are in the tank?

a tank with good H2O will let a fish's wounds heal without getting infected, so make sure your water is clean (check the water quality by testing, exp nitrate)

HTH, GL

Six

No Other fish, tank is a 29 gallon, she does have an area where I can't see her where she goes at night behind the rock. I'll monitor water params, and see if she gets any more injuries.

Sounds good. When I used to keep my online namesake, a SIXline wrasse, I used to wish I had a tiny fish camera to strap on it's head to see where it would go at night. Amazing ability to hide.

heard any snapping at night perchance? if you house a pistol or mantis with a wrasse, intentionally or accidently, that can cause some missing fins.

GL

No Other fish, tank is a 29 gallon, she does have an area where I can't see her where she goes at night behind the rock. I'll monitor water params, and see if she gets any more injuries.

No clicking noises, but i did find an apistia today, growing off the back of my open brain.

My Params

Temp-80

PH-8.3

ALK-9.8

PO4-less than .5ppm

NO3-0ppm

CALC-340ppm

No clicking noises, but i did find an apistia today, growing off the back of my open brain.

My Params

Temp-80

PH-8.3

ALK-9.8

PO4-less than .5ppm

NO3-0ppm

CALC-340ppm

A+

just watch the fish. It may have jut been a territorial exchange since the fish is kinda new to the other animal's existing space. you'll probably be fine, just make sure the water is good and the fish eats well and it should bounce back from any lacerations or wounds.

Archived