Top Shelf Aquatics

New member, New tank

donk

This is my 29gal reef tank. It has been up for 5 weeks now and I am hooked. I am running a Seaclone skimmer, 2 powerheads and doing a 10% water change each week and adding Coral vital every day. I have 40 lbs of live rock, 2in of live sand, 1 clam, 1 "zoo", 1 avelapora, 2 pcs of mushroom rock (red, green & brown), long tenacled plate, 1 green open brain, 1 Percula clown, 1 purple tang, 1 emerald crab, snails and 3 stars (2 brittle 1 sand sifting). I plan to ask alot of questions. I've learned a ton in just the couple of days that I have been a member. I hope I dont bother the crap out of you too much. Donk

Both seem to be doing fine. Clam is wide open all day.

The tang hides alot but comes out to eat and when there is no one by the tank. Not good so soon?

Then main problem people have with tangs in nanos is the size, that tangs quickly get large, and that tangs are very active and need a lot of swimming space. Generally its best to wait until the tank stabilizes to add more touchy individuals such as a clam, and I think thats why people were kinda surprised you did that.

Thanks, I'll keep a close eye on him. I guess if he starts getting much bigger I"ll have to take him back to the LFS. By the way I'm putting this pic of my clam on here. Do you know what these brown stripes are? There didnt seem to be that many of them when I bought him.

I may be wrong, my screen resolution is set to 1600 X 1200 so everything on these post looks small, but are you sure that is a tang and not a yellow tailed damsel?

Im west of Cleveland.

I know this web site is for nano tanks but I have a 29gal which is small but I dont know if you would consider it "nano"

Is 29 too small for a tang?

• 4 weeks later...

Well.. I have the older model that doesnt flip up.

It has 130w and the corals all open up great, it seems to be plenty of light. I'm very happy with it.

That clam could die under that lighting. It'd be better off with a MH pendant atleast 175W.

I have almost the same setup

29 gal

130w JBJ

A001A%20002.jpg

Originally posted by donk

Have you tried a clam in your tank sos?

I've wanted too but I've worried my light wasn't strong enough for the more colorful clams. At this point I don't have much room for one. Maybe a small one on my substrate.

Archived