was wondering if I could borrow the experience

of the group for comments and advice on the

plans?

I've posted diagrams and notes and such here:

http://nano.mootech.net

Thanks!

Jessica

Welcome Jessica!

It's really late/early here righ now....so my DIY brain isn't totally up to speed but I see several problems with your proposed set up.

It looks like a really neat project. :) First off glass and acrylic don't bond together well. I'd do all glass and drill your overflows and returns.

I'd do away with the water change tank and use the sump for that. You can install a drain on it. The only reason I see to use that tank is to increase your total water volume, which you could do by making your sump bigger.

Loose the netting, you are right it would clog very quicky and be a pain in the butt.

I'll look at it again when I'm more awake. We have several other good DIYer who will help you out with your plan.

Matt Peacock

Hi Jessica,

That looks like it could create a very impressive system, the idea of two seperate tanks butted up is a nice one.

I agree with lizbeth about killing the water change tank. I think that is making it over-complex, and remember the salty water will run down every surface it can, making it harder to clean. My suggestion is either install a drain/tap which ever you prefer (I'm a tap man myself :P), or have a container in the sump which you can "pull out" with water in. This also means you would not have to kill the power while you did water changes.

Matt

Matt Peacock

Sorry, forgot to say....

18x12x10 is a common tank size, it may be easier to buy two tanks of that size, because they will be finished nicely, and also you may not save much money building them from scratch.

(You CAN drill glass, but I would ask a professional, just to be safe)

Matt

Archived