SaltCritters.com

Aquarium of the Pacific

rbaby

Hey guys,

Went to Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA today...was pretty cool. They had baby seahorse, Anthias schools, shark eggs and lots of displays that you can see based on regions.

You guys really should check it out if you're in the area--here are some pictures...(I was actually a bit appaled at how much fish they stuck in a little tank--and my ears are ringing from all the kids going 'look it's nemo, it's dory...').

ATP01.jpg

ATP02.jpg

ATP03.jpg

ATP04.jpg

ATP05.jpg

ATP06.jpg

ATP07.jpg

ATP08.jpg

ATP09.jpg

ATP10.jpg

ATP11.jpg

I also have wallpapers available for the jellyfishes so if you guys want one, just PM me and I'll send you a link where you can download it at full resolution (it's 4MB). I ended up adopting a sea-otter (it's $100/year) and a membership family package for my sister's family...the kids'll have a great time I'm sure.

Those poor sharks. I remember a story a while ago about some kids who broke in there and killed a couple of thim...

That small shark touch pond is really cool though.

Someday I'm gonna replicate this and set it up in my basement.

ATP02.jpg

But before I do that, I'm gonna figure out how to keep a few of these guys, it's actually one of the reasons I've gotten into reefing.

ATP04.jpg

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Man that's awesome. I never knew that it was that cool. I had heard that it was just an over priced place. But wow am i in shock. That's a very cool place. I have to go one of these days.

It's a good change in scenery for me, I haven't gone to the harbors in a while--the admission's not that bad, it's $18...my boy and I ate at this place called Gump Shrimp or something like that--it was pretty interesting. Our server totally did a whole "Gump" trivia...too bad I never saw the movie...cept my bf did and I guessed better than he did haha.

Anyway, the exhibits could be better, most people breeze through these places and just "look"...I take the time to read those little info plates...really helps you appreciate the wonders of these creatures. We even watched the 3D movie--which gave me a migraine...but the best has to be the Sea Otters. They loved the attention and kept swirling in the water in front of the spectators...attention whores =D.

This is hands down my favorite. excellent photos!

ATP11.jpg

rbaby

nice pics. do you know what those eel looking things were?

i like that fish only tank with the clowns/blue hippo tangs

Garden Eels

Wow--Thanks very much rbaby for sharing this with us..

Your pics are awesome!!!! You are one cool chick to doing the adoption thing..

Peoples -- stand up and take note of someone with the ocean running through her veins :D

Izzue

Wow, that kicks the poo out of our aquarium here in Seattle. They don't even have the leafy seadragons anymore, just a single, sad-looking weedy seadragon. Still beautiful, but his setup is a real shame. It's a nice cylindrical tank, furnished only with a few solid-green plastic plants. Pitiful.

However, an ex-SWfish-breeder I know says that you just need a CITES permit for the seadragons. I bet they'd be pricey, though, but I'd sure as hell look into it if I had the facilities. Get ready to culture several kinds of phyto to feed your several giant cultures of various critters like mysids, etc. Would be SO rewarding, though.

I like the fake corals in that larger exhibit. Imagine trying to keep them alive in there...It'd be near-impossible. At least they scrub the algae off regularly. That first photo, though... It's a real reef, isn't it? Beautiful.

Archived