Cultivated Reef

Seafood mix

kimura

I was on RC site, which is down right now. But I was reading about Sanjay or Sanji (sorry) on how he made his seafood mix. Has anyone tried this? I made one the other day with some leftover parts from the local fish market. They sold it as a pack, how convienent! Anyways......I brought it home mixed in some Zoe and some DT, placed it in a ziplock baggie then froze it. I'm gonna try and feed this to my corals via a turkey baster.

Let me know if anyone here has tried that mix.

Fresh seafood mix is one of my rotation foods. I bought a bag of frozen mixed seafood, blended it with some nori and froze it flat in a zip lock bag. I break off a small piece and thaw it in a bit of tank water and feed it with a baster.

I used to use Sanjay's recipe when I had the 75G up and running. All I can say is that the fish went ape-poop when I dumped it in!!!

I used it exclusively for about 6 months and the animals (coral, fish, etc.) looked GREAT!

I made a mix out of shrimp, white fish and scallops. threw it in a blender and froze it flat. I just cut off chunks and dissolve in water. My fish go nuts over it and their coloring is great.

yeah I use Ice cube trays to make some, and gallon ziplocks laid flat. it works well cause its "time reeased" and DAUH..... ALL NATURAL. It also can increase bio load and excess nutrients VERY fast. Errr on the side of caution when NOT overdoing foods.

technoshaman

I made some out of whole squid, mussels, krill, a little of that sweetwater zooplankton stuff, some phyto juice, spirulina flakes, a few sinking wafers I had left over finely mashed and lastly a wee bit of minced garlic. Added above to blender and let it get nice and goopy (watching the squid get chopped up is not for the weak of stomach) and had a consitency of something like poi . Poured the resulting mixture into a shallow flat tupperware bowl and stuck in freezer. Now I jsut break off a little and let it thaw some. My brittle , shrimp and crabs all dig it and it's easy to find and remove any leftovers. Most of my fish are really small (gobies) and I still feed them a regular variety of foods as the mixture I made is hard to get in bits small enough for them to eat. I also hand feed some of my corals they will eat it with relative gusto (as much as a brain coral can muster I guess).

- Also it does mush up pretty well if you thaw it all the way out. It's good for making a slurry , the only real problem I have is it's not heavey enough to sink most of the time. I have to break out the tongs and set it near the hungry critter or on it's tentacles in the case of the brain.

I use Sanjay's recipie. Just a few caveats...

1-I find squid hard to mince finely (doesn't chop in my processer well)

2-Scallops smell absolutely horrible

IMO

Otherwise my fish seems to like it, my brain and candy corals eat it, and when I feed it all sorts of wierd stuff comes out of my rock I didn't even know was there.

Dave brought up a very good point. It's very easy to overfeed with this mix. With that said I think that skimming would be a good idea to do if you're not too sure on the amount to give.

Hopefully my skimmer will be in soon:happy:

Originally posted by chvynva916

1-I find squid hard to mince finely (doesn't chop in my processer well)

[/b]

Keeping the seafood partially frozen solves that problem.

Archived