Innovative Marine Aquariums

When mounting a MH?

MacnReef

I am concerned about the heat generated off of a metal halide. I just put together my canopy for my 20g and was considering putting my 250W halide, that was pendant, on a mogul socket and mounting it in my hood. Do you have any recommendations as to how far off of the wood it needs to be mounted. Also, is a reflector required or could I just paint the inside white?

Thanx in advance :)

I would recomend about 50mm off from the wood, thats what i was told was the minimum recomened height. Also i would recomend a reflector (but thats only if you want to focus the light in to the tank), other wise paint it white.

I am so concerned with heat, I will probably just stick with 4-55W pc. If I decide later, I can always use two of the 55W pc and add a halide.

you could always cut a hole in the top of your hood thats the size of the mh pendent, and rest it on top of the hood that might fix the heat issue.

this is true. I just don't know how much I really want acros and maximas. I like my monti's, softies, and LPS. I do appreciate your reply....

I would recomend about 50mm off from the wood, thats what i was told was the minimum recomened height. Also i would recomend a reflector (but thats only if you want to focus the light in to the tank), other wise paint it white.
If I decide to go with MH, I will deffinately take your advise.B)

When i set up my 20 long with a 175 watt mogul in a custom built hood I had it in there for a day and quickly realized that the top of the hood where the light was got waaaaaay to hot. so i got a couple of power supply fans from old computer guts laying around my house and installed one on each side of the hood....one sucking in and and the other one blowing out the opposing side. I ran the fans using a dc converter I bought from radio shack and hooked them to the same timer the halide was on. This helped alot and after that the spot on the top of the hood that was initially very very hot was barely warm to the touch.

Archived