Cultivated Reef

Aqua-C Remora HOB skimmer Noise?!?!

sandsrfr

Well after countless hours of reading I finally decided to buy the remora skimmer for my 21 gallon tank. Unfortunately none of my lfs sold them so I bought it from marinedepot (cheaper none-the-less anyways than lfs).

Being new to the whole reefing scene, maybe its just me, but this thing is ubnoxiously loud!

Has anyone else here had experiences that can vouch for it being louder than any of the other hob skimmers (cpr, prizm, etc....)???

Its not the jetting sound that is loud, its more of a vibration noise that seems to be resenating (sp?) up through the injection tube. I dunno if this is just inherint in the design or what?

Maybe I just have a bad rio pump (I know, I didn't get the maxijet....)? or what...?

I'd like to get any suggestions if anyones delt with this before I make any hasty decisions to try hauk this to try something else...

Thanks in advance!

Newbie refer (whom like peace and quiet, hehe....)

Sands

((P.S. for reference the noise sounds something like a transformer sound..... About 3-5 times as loud as my 2 Aquaglobe mini powerheads))

**Update: Ok, so I thought I would pull out the Rio 800 and hook it up seperately as a powerhead in the tank to see how it sounded.... Sure enough, it has a definate noise coming from it.... Sound resemble that of a loose ball bearing rolling around inside really fast (best I can do...) It is clean and all of its inners look good.

Is that a common noise from a rio, or should it be a continuous 'woooo' sound like the aquaglobe pumps..?

i have a remoura too. the rio is a piece of crap. i suggest you get rid of that thing and change the powerhead to a maxi jet1200. it is a lot more efficient and a lot quieter.

the sound that rio power head makes is a rattleing sound that is a result of obstructed flow from the output which pushes back on its rotating motor. since remoura's injection mech is build on pressure, rio power head is not a good choice to go with. once you switch over to the maxi jet1200, then the sound should be to a mini. i notice a big difference in the noise it makes after the switch. to tell you the truth after switching to maxijet 1200, i dont notice the sound unless i was listening for it.

Guest AbSoluTc

Thought I would share. I bought my Aqua C from Marinedepot as well. I never got the rio, but instead had it upgraded to the maxijet before I even bought it.

Mine made the same sound yours does. Its a vibration/resonation thing that will drive any sane person mad within minutes.

I found that its due to the pump being so close to the glass. Or if its touching it just slightly.

Check that or extend the tub and you should be fine.

Archived